What Can Go With Guppies?

kristysweets

i have seven 2 month old guppies, i believe i have three males and four females. I have a five gal. tank with a betta in it. i want to take him out and put my females in that tank, I don't want any more babies so first off is four females in a 5 gal ok?

if so that leaves my 10 gal with 3 males, what can I can I put with them? I'd like to have a tank with other tropicals mixed. I checked out the fish tonight at nnnnnn and made note of the ones I really liked, they all seem to be pretty healthy at the store for now.

I like cories, platies, mollies, cherry barbs, and african cichlids so i'm kinda aiming for any of those, but i don't know what can mix and how many. i also have a high ph, 8.4 so i need something that can adapt. I want to QT them in the five gal for a few weeks before i do the split cause i don't want harm to come to my babies :heart

so what can i do? :D

oh an another thing to be on the safe side, are my guppies big enough not to be eatten by the others now, i think they are like a half an inch long.

http://kristysweets.net/temp/guppies.jpg

I would probably go with the cories or platies :) Mollies tolerate high pH's well, but do much better in brackish water. Even though I don't know much about cichlids, I wouldn't trust any with guppies...I think your little boys would be eaten. Platies are also livebearers, so if you don't want anymore babies, I'd go with all male platies with the male guppies (I think I've heard of different types of livebearers interbreeding before).

Good luck! :)

i won't, i was doing some reading eariler and read that too. i'm going to put a aqua tech for 5 to 10 gal aquariums, i'm not sure what the gph is. i'd have to look at the book and see, that's what i have on my ten gal right now and i still haven't been able to cycle that tank cause i never read ammonia! maybe it's cause they are still little? i have a whisper filter in it now(the 5 gal), but my tank has become a mess. i took my betta out and i'm going to tear it down tonight and i'm gonna use the aqua tech filter instead.

oh wait, what am i saying :krazy: you're asking about my ten not my five! :lol: so yea i have aqua tech for 5-10 gal on there.

Lol, you sound like me...rambling on like that!

With 100gph on a 10 gallon tank, you can probably happilly keep 4 platies or 4 cories in with your three guppies, maybe a little more. I'm not an expert on stocking aquariums, but that would be my guess. Hopefully some one else will come along and help.

Someday I plan on 3 Albino Cories in my 10 gallon tank... I'm waiting for my QT to cycle first, and then I have to figure out about my guppies o.0 I have 3 adult females and 5 almost 2 week old fry in my one 10 gallon right now LoL. My other fishies will have to wait I think. I originally figured there would be 4 guppies and I could get the cories, but that large female ended up being pregnant when I got her :P LoL

my guppie was pregnant when i got her too! then she died on me, poor girl, but all her babies have lived. i was reading last night that you can sex them at two weeks, it said to take each one out and put them in a clear glass and check with a magnifing glass for the black spot females have. the females can get pregnant at six weeks so i'm just crossing my fingers and hoping none get pregnant :huh: if they do i guess i'll deal with that when the time comes.

Sounds like you have things well in hand :)

Corys with your guppies would be great - just remember to keep no fewer than 3 corys together, they are a very sociable fish.

i was reading last night that you can sex them at two weeks

Really? At 2 weeks? Everywhere I have looked (lol several months back when I was looking up guppy info) said 4 weeks o.0 My 5 little guys will be 2 weeks old Sunday. Perhaps I'll try and look, but if I can't tell, oh well. I'm in no hurry to see which will be which :) LoL

I was originally going to have the 3 cories in with another small schooling fish (I'm trying to pick between a few different fish still *sigh*) but I'm in no hurry. The tank may be overcrowded with cories and all these guppies if they fry make it, so I just have to wait *sigh* LoL

LoL. I am hoping for at least 1 male out of the 5... I want to see it grow up and get an idea what the male looked like! I don't know if it was a common, fancy or a wild/endler (whatever it is these other 2 males I have are) will be :)

Best of luck with yours!! :)

me too, i want to see what my males look like. the girls look just like their mom. the males have some black, but they have another color in them too. i think it might be yellow. they are begging me for food right now (have them on my desk), they are so cute. good luck with yours too :)

*sigh* I don't know if any of my guppies in my cycled tank will make it :( Apparently there's an infection in there still. One of my females died last night sometime. The fry are in there and probably infected so I can't move them to another tank *sniff* I have no way to get medication either -_- I can't get uptown until the the 29th or 30th and then it depends on money or not -_- *sigh*

I'll have to make a topic about it and figure out what's going on and what medication will be best to use, if I can get it -_-

With guppies, I would actually go with tetras... like maybe Serpe's, Diamonds, Harliquin rasboras, red eyes, bueno airies.... black phantom... (tell me when to stop, eh? :) ) but I adore tetras.. wanna set up a tetra tank.

DONT do cichlids, unless you plant on using the guppies for food.... also, cichlids need HUGE tanks...

Archived