Can Anyone Tell Me....

lcwinne

post-4629-1129774817_thumb.jpg

Here is a picture of Sir Joan Stuffygut. The name seems to be suiting her just fine since she is really quite round and her body shape isn't quite like my other ranchu's.

post-4629-1129774895_thumb.jpg

She's a cute ranchu alright, but i would say with not-so-normal (ideal) body shape. The curve of the backbone is not that smooth, and the angle of the caudal peduncle & the tail is not acute enuff, plus the belly is set too low :D suits the name very well :lol:

Very cute fish, she looks to be pregnant. Are you sure she is a she? I would watch her carefully if she is new. From the pic her belly looks a little too swollen for comfort.

No Cathy and Laurie She is not a newbe :D I've had her since spring. Uhhh March I think. I'll have to go back an look at some of my older pictures.

She's always been a bit wide. I've tried peas and fasting and she still has that belly. Any other suggestions? She is the only one in the tank with a belly like that.

I AM watching that tank closely. None of her scales are raised so it's not dropsey. There isn't any other bacterial infection that might cause this, is there?

Pregnant? How do I know? The boys don't seem to be the least bit interested in any of the girls (not that I would want to mess with a spawned tank.) :blink:

Oh and D golem..... I go more for personality than body shapes. She literally used to push Hobo (my calico pearlscale I bought at the same time) out of the way when it was time to eat...back when they were in QT :lol: Hence she was dubbed her name Sir Joan Stuffygut :rolleyes:

I found a of pics of her when she was still in QT. End of March

post-4629-1129863122_thumb.jpg

Does make her look like she is now pretty swollen. :unsure: Should I start her on Maracyn???

Lol connie i do also go for personality than body shape but it's much better to have both :D

and from the pics and ur description, i'd say it's just how stuffygut is growing. a ranchu can change alot from juvenile to maturity.

Thanks guys...

Cathy, you're right...I wouldn't want to medicate her if she is fine. Her body is so wide, deep & round I was beginning to worry I was missing something. Maybe I should try to isolate her for a short time to watch her food more....more controlled. I can better check her poop as well. My one QT tank is "fish empty" except for the plants Jake keeps pulling out :lol:

Laurie...you asked if I was sure she was a "she" ..... Well, I'm pretty sure, I think :rolleyes: Her "tail-end" does have the tale-tell signs of a female. If, by chance she IS pregnant, are there any other signs to look for? What if she's eggbound? How will I know? She does seem to be acting normally otherwise.

Is she possibly part of the "egg fish" breed? She is short from head to the end of her tail, compared to my other 2 ranchu's. But both of them are quite different from each other too though?

Thanks guys...

Cathy,  you're right...I wouldn't want to medicate her if she is fine. Her body is so wide, deep & round I was beginning to worry I was missing something.  Maybe I should try to isolate her for a short time to watch her food more....more controlled.  I can better check her poop as well.  My one QT tank is "fish empty" except for the plants Jake keeps pulling out :lol:

415666[/snapback]

That's a good idea....that way you could monitor her closely and see if she's pooping normally :) I'm sure it's nothing to worry about since she is not acting sick but it's better to be on the safe side.Her body shape is a bit unusual which makes you wonder why and be worried but maybe it's just genetic or just the way her body has developed :)

Archived