Development

GFandy

Well i didn't know exactly where this might belong :( so i put it here. :D

So my question to all of you out there is:

On orandas, as well as the other "headgrowth" varieties, when do the growths start to grow, if fed a food such as ProGold?

I've had a little so called red-capped oranda but its not a red cap because the red extends past the head area (down its spine) any who back on topic,

This little guy is probably an inch and a half now and theres basically no headgrowth. I kno that it all depends on genetics for colors, growth of wens, size, tails etc. I have 2 so called orandas with no wens (this 1 and the white one in my signiture) Now i do not believe the white one is an oranda even though he/she was sold as one. So how do i determine if they would indeed be considered orandas or just fantails?

If this post was confusing i'm very sorry.

Thanks for any replies!!

Well you are right about genetics. That plays alot into the growth. However with good water, time and good nutrition (proteins and veggies) it will grow in if infact it is meant to.

I thought for the longest time my "mutt" oranda wasn't going to grow a wen, he was 4 inches when I bought him and over the last year and half he is now starting to grow one. It is time, cause he is pushing 7 inches!!!

Guest PetalFlower

I've read that they don't really start growing their wen until around 2 or so years old. I'm a lot has to do with genetics as you said, and the individual fish.

My redcap has started growing his wen just a little bit, but my orange oranda hasnt grown one at all, even though he has the makeup of an oranda (same body type and tail and everything.) we thought he might have a black wen when we bought him but we found out it was just ammonia burns.

I wonder if his is genetic too? :unsure:

It depends on the individual fish :D my black ranchu is roughly the same age & size of my red&white ranchu but the black ranchu already got wwen covering his head & cheeks while the red&white one only showing minimal growth on the forehead :lol:

So cap/wen growth is rooted in the genetics.

And feeding probably affects the growth too?

As well as of course water quality and stocking density which affect like everything.

hmmm :hummm this is interesting,

mayb some of you kno if my theory is right or not.

Since proteins are the building blocks of like different bodily tissues, a higher protein diet would create more growth in...alot of places. But in humans if we eat too much protein it messes up our kidneys :( ...do GF have kidneys? idk

So I'm gonna see if feeding a higher protein diet speeds growth along or if it doesn't really do much of anything.

I let you kno what i find

andy

Yes actually I have read many places that feeding wened goldfish a diet higer in protien is good for wen growth. I believe the number was something like 60% protien? Please correct me if Im wrong. You can give your fish tubifex, bloodworms, brine shrimp and the like.

Also you can make your own gel food with stuff like canned tuna or salmon. I have done this. I always alternate my higher protien food with normal flakes and veggies so that they dont get bound up. Too much protien will make them constipated..and this will happen to my fish no fail if I forget to give them the veggies... :( So honestly I think my recipes may have a bit to much protien, but I havent actually tried to achieve 60%, so I dont know how much is in there.

Look up gel food ont he net. You will find lots of recipes. These are easy to make and you cut it in chunks and store it in your freezer.

A good variety in food to ensure they get all the nutrients they need is a a big help.

I dont know how much it is helping my wened fish though!!!! Lol. I thin kIm just too impatient. I have had my babies for about 3 months now and only one of my orandas has head growth, but he had it when I got him. All of my wened fish are under 2.5 inches. My red cap shows no signs of a cap yet, my lionhead I dont think will ever get one, my little ranchu is started to show signs of a wen, and my blue oranda has a teeny bit of head growth. I think I just need to give them more time and keep them healthy!

It is true that a high protein diet can give the wen a boost, however making sure a balenced diet is given is better. Gf do have kidneys and a diet higher in one source or another isn't always what is best. Slowly but surely if he is meant to have a wen he will.

Just like body builders, if you give to much protein you can have negative effects.

I'll look for gel food recipes ASAP, do they use gelatin?? gelatin is gross..its made of ground up cow hooves...my bio teacher told us...she also told us that the oreo cream is a big lump of saturated fat...gross...Biology is soooo cool isn't it? LOL

time is another major factor in all this!!...time sometimes makes me mad at it since i hate being patient! lol

i've had that white one since i was like really young like for mayb 10 years...and no wen...OOOO welll...this LSF i guess doesn't really kno or mayb the supplier/breeder doesn't really know about goldfish.. :( mayb when they're hiring i'l goo and find out the age u gotta b..prolly gonna tell me 16 or 18...ehh 2-4 more years then.

Yes you use unflavored gelatin. Its just plain stuff. Dont use the jello stuff lol! You dont want to give your fish sugar or sugar substitutes. Yuk.

You can put all sorts of stuff in your gel food. I usually put mostly veggies in mine with maybe one can of tuna or salmon. I use peas, zucchinni, kale, mustard greens, pumpkin, and lots of other stuff! Make sure any fresh veggies are peeled, and canned or fozen veggies should have NO ADDED SALT OR SUGAR.

genetics are key I beleive...certian breed of wen growing goldfish naturally develop better when than other...my blue scale oranda has very little wen growth in comparison to my red/white and my all gold orandas

sorrryy guys, i lied :( i didn't look up gel food ASAP, i didn't have enough time to look up the gel food until today cause today we have a 3-day weekend :D

I found this website, its got a bunch of gel food recipes

Goldfish Nutrition

then we have the page from koko's

Koko's Gel Food

then we have the one i saw AGES ago, just didn't realize it, its paste food though

:hmm

http://www.geocities.com/emperorsgoldfish/

thats what i've found sooo far... idk yet which recipe to use

Archived