Needing Help A.s.a.p.

Guest Justin

hey earlier today i bought a small red cap oranda from vvvv. i took the fish home and put it in my 55 gal with my other three small orandas. after i added the fish to my tank i left for school. when i came home about 4 hours later, i looked at the new red cap i had purchased ealier. i noticed something on its tail fin. it looked like a parasite. i took it off and put it underneath a microscope. sure enough it was alive and moving. i went to the disease section of this site and it looks like im dealing with fish lice. so do you think there was only one, or should i just go ahead and treat the whole tank. and if i do treat the tank, what do i use?

Oh Justin I am sorry to hear that. It is always a good idea to quarantine a new fish for 2-4 weeks to make sure they don't bring somthing home to your other fish.

It is pretty safe to say you will need to now treat the whole tank for lice.

A product called Parasite Clear works pretty good on most parasites. It is by Jungle Labs. You may have to do multiple treatments in order to get them all. Remember you are only seeing the adults babies or larvae or microscopic.

What are you params of the tank? These will have to be perfect to help aid in the healing.

the tank is cycled.

0 ammonia

0 nitrite

17 nitrate.

can i use the jungle labs parasite clear with live plants in the tank. i did not add the pet store water to the tank.

i do not have a ph test kit.

the fish looks like its in rough shape. some scales are missing, and a piece of his tail fin is gone. But he seems to be doing fine in the tank. i know i can get him back into good shape. Now i worried that more of those nasty little creatures are living in my tank. i checked my other fish and i saw nothing on them. tommorow i am going to go to the pet store and get something to take care of the problem. i think its fice lice. whatever it was seemed to match the description pretty well.

i just added the parisite clear to my tank. i took out all of my filter cartriges. when do i put them back in? and should i go ahead and buy all new filter cartriges?

Justin when you are at the store I would also recommend a ph kit. PH is very important to check weekly as well. PH fluctuations can quickly kill a fish. I would hate for you to be treating lice and lose the fish to a ph dip.

Archived