Flake Food

Guest dognet13

OmegaOne Goldfish Flakes is the best, if you can find it. It's made of whole fish meat and contains none of the fish meal stuff. It's relatively expensive though, and not sold in major stores.

For the common stuff, I'd say the new improved TetraFin is the best flakes, it has a high protein content, and the flakes are somehow firmer than the other brands I've used so they don't break apart when they hit water.

If you want to go the cheap route, I just ordered some goldfish flakes from Kensfish.com, got a whole POUND (16 oz) for just $5.75! The ingredients aren't that great but is better than Wardley's, and my fishes seem to love it! I also like the fact that since they ship in bags, it contains HUGE flakes! I got a couple big fishes and normal canned flakes are always too small for them. I mean these flakes are like 2-3 inches in diameter! Anyways, so far I think it was $5.75 well spent.

OmegaOne Goldfish Flakes is the best, if you can find it. It's made of whole fish meat and contains none of the fish meal stuff. It's relatively expensive though, and not sold in major stores.

For the common stuff, I'd say the new improved TetraFin is the best flakes, it has a high protein content, and the flakes are somehow firmer than the other brands I've used so they don't break apart when they hit water.

If you want to go the cheap route, I just ordered some goldfish flakes from Kensfish.com, got a whole POUND (16 oz) for just $5.75! The ingredients aren't that great but is better than Wardley's, and my fishes seem to love it! I also like the fact that since they ship in bags, it contains HUGE flakes! I got a couple big fishes and normal canned flakes are always too small for them. I mean these flakes are like 2-3 inches in diameter! Anyways, so far I think it was $5.75 well spent.

414614[/snapback]

Yeah i feed mine OmegaOne Goldfish Flakes :)

I feed omega pellets...I didn't know they made flakes! Since they do, they sound like the best brand to buy. Do they make tropical flakes?

414966[/snapback]

Yes they do. What I like about their flakes is that it does not disintegrate in water. I read on their web site that this is because they use fresh fish meat to make their flakes. Normal flakes use fish meal (which is pretty much dry fish powder) as the source of protein, and in order to bind them together so they will form flakes, they use stuff like wheat flour or potato flour. Fresh fish meat does not need these binders to stay together, they form flakes because of the natural attraction between unprocessed fish proteins, hence no type of filler/ash is needed to form the flakes.

One thing I do notice about their flakes is, they are extra chewy. Whereas all other flakes become soft when soaked with water, and fishes can easily gulp them down, Omega One flakes stay hard even when wet, and fishes have to chew on it for a bit to get it down.

Archived