My Tv Ranchu

Happy Oranda

This my top view Ranchu. My girlfriend said she looks like a 'submarine' as her tail looks like a small propeller and is too small compared to her body. :rofl

I like her colour. It's special, isnt it? But the colour might be unstable. Any idea what colour she might change to? :)

Ranchu2.jpg

Hi Happy oranda,

very cute ranchu u got there! ;)

any chance for a top view pic? I'd like to observe how she looks from the top, if u don't mind :D but she does look like a tv from the pic though :D

I think the tail is just the right size & not too small.

And yes the colour is unique, not the traditional red & white :lol: not sure if she gonna change colour though. how big is she?

What a cute chocolate ranchu!! I hope he retains his color for you too. Chocolates often do retain their color if there isn't any orange or yellow to them.

He is a nice looking fish, what is his name?

Hmm pls correct me if i'm wrong, but after seeing the top view pic, I have to say that ur ranchu is a side-view being passed up to u as a top-view. The shape of the tail is not ideal top-view, the head is too short, and the overall body shape is too bulky and too short as a top-view. But what a thick backbone she got! :blink: Must be a powerful swimmer!

:exactly:D

I was told it was a tv Ranchu when I got it. I tried to classify it into a top view or side view. The traits to be a tv or a sv seem to be contradict. Relatively flat curve back, angle of the tail tuck and etc make it more top view. However the traits you point out make it more side view.

Let us calle it side-top view Ranchu. :rofl

All comment appreciate. :D

Let us calle it side-top view Ranchu.  :rofl

All comment appreciate.  :D

414741[/snapback]

:rofl Lol that's a good one!

Actually for a ranchu to become a top view, the shape of it from side-view is quite irrelevant. Whether if the ranchu has a flat-ish back or a nicely rounded curvy back doesn't matter at all as long as long as it looks good from above.

So it doesn't matter if the back is long, flat, bumpy & kinked like these:

image26.jpg

image23.jpg

or nicely curved like a side-view like this one:

image35.jpg

as long as from the top it looks like these:

image05.jpg

image11.jpg

image08.jpg

(Images courtesy of Absolute Ranchu Farm)

PS: The pics above are all show-class top-view ranchus :druel :

AWWWWW this thread has gone Ranchu mad! :rofl

*wishes mine will grow to look like them* lol

anyway you've got a lovely fish i love the look of the ranchu and lionheads their so cute!

:rofl Lol that's a good one!

Actually for a ranchu to become a top view, the shape of it from side-view is quite irrelevant. Whether if the ranchu has a flat-ish back or a nicely rounded curvy back doesn't matter at all as long as long as it looks good from above.

The pics you show are absolutely gorgeous and look like dream. :lol: As far as I know, Japenese keep Ranchu in ponds and watch from top. Now more and more people keep them in indoor aquatic tanks, some of them with nice back curve and tail tuck are subclassified into side-view Ranchu. And in fish shows, pumpy + kinked back ranchu are automatically disqualified. Anyway for normal hobbyist like us, are unlikely have ranchu in that standard. :D

The pics you show are absolutely gorgeous and look like dream.  :lol: As far as I know, Japenese keep Ranchu in ponds and watch from top. Now more and more people keep them in indoor aquatic tanks, some of them with nice back curve and tail tuck are subclassified into side-view Ranchu. And in fish shows, pumpy + kinked back ranchu are automatically disqualified. Anyway for normal hobbyist like us, are unlikely have ranchu in that standard.  :D

415061[/snapback]

Yep ur right there. It's not really a subclassification though, as Sv is not an "imperfect" Tv nor a Tv is an "imperfect" Sv. Tv & Sv are both equal in standing and are quite distinctly different. Both have VERY loyal followers and breeders :lol: . And it's actually quite possible for us normal hobbyists to get a good quality ranchu from any LFS quite cheaply, cos most of the ranchu sold are still juveniles, and nobody can really know how will they turn out when they matures. As long as u got patience and an eye for ranchu, even runts will turn out great.

I'm currently waiting my cheaply LFS bought ranchu to grow mature to see how it'll turn out. In the last 2 months the previously bumpy back has smoothened out, the body becomes fuller, although the wen is not growing even one bit :D hehehe :rolleyes:

Yep ur right there. It's not really a subclassification though, as Sv is not an "imperfect" Tv nor a Tv is an "imperfect" Sv. Tv & Sv are both equal in standing and are quite distinctly different. Both have VERY loyal followers and breeders  . And it's actually quite possible for us normal hobbyists to get a good quality ranchu from any LFS quite cheaply, cos most of the ranchu sold are still juveniles, and nobody can really know how will they turn out when they matures. As long as u got patience and an eye for ranchu, even runts will turn out great.

I'm currently waiting my cheaply LFS bought ranchu to grow mature to see how it'll turn out. In the last 2 months the previously bumpy back has smoothened out, the body becomes fuller, although the wen is not growing even one bit :D   hehehe

415119[/snapback]

I may have used a wrong term 'subclassification', I do agree with you they do have their own loyal followers. :exactly I should have said they are equal branches in Ranchu family. :)

You are lucky, man. You have got a good quality juvenile ranchu (I have seen its pic). But over here, it is not easy at all to get a relatively good quality one. To be honest, this one costed me 40 pounds (70 USD) from a mini fish farm. I had to drive about 1.5 hours to get there. In lfs, most of them dont sell ranchu at all. Recently I just found one of them selling good quality adults, but the price is extremly high, normally 250 (425 USD) each. I tried to order one by post online, and I asked them to send me some pics from which I can choose my favourate. However, after scrutinizing the pic they sent me, I'd rather call them lionhead or dorsalfinless faitail in stead of ranchu. :lol:

In my opinion, for a ranchu, individual taits have been decided by gene when it was born. We can do little on them. For example, we may promote the wen growth a little bit by green water or high protein food, or make its colour more brightness by feeding more alive food. But maybe thats all we can do. :D

We love our ranchu not a little less although they are not perfect, dont we?

We love our ranchu not a little less although they are not perfect, dont we?

415462[/snapback]

U got it absolutely right there mate! I think my ranchu is the best ranchu in the world, and i'm sure u do too with ur ranchu.

I agree that genes will mostly determine how a ranchu (or any fish) will turn out. And we can only do our best to enhance the traits we desire.

Btw, u live in England, don't u?

I know there are at least two professional tv ranchu breeders in England. Maybe u can track them down. Their names are Craig Smith and Andrew James. Here's a link to Craig Smith's ranchu house & his ranchus:

Craig Smith ranchu house

and some of Andrew James' ranchu house & ranchus:

Andrew James' ranchu house

cheers

The answer is right in front of u all the time, donya :D Willy is one gorgeous side-view ranchu so if u want a guide to how a side-view ranchu look from the top and from the side, just look at Willy ;):exactly

And if u wanna look at great top-view ranchus, scroll up to earlier posts for some pics

:thud

I am officially clueless...I hardly see him from the side so I just assumed he was a top view (doh!). Ok I won't derail the thread anymore, I'm off to find a tutorial or something that hopefully is in english LOL

Archived