How Many Guppy Babies?

Ranchugirl

My pregnant female guppy, fat bellied since about 3 weeks, accidentally *dropped* 5 babies when I added another female to her in the tank. There are the two girls in there now, and the 5 babies, the males are in a different tank. She still has a very fat belly, and I assume those 5 were not the last of it. How many babies do guppies have on average, and how long does the female carry them around like that? She reminds me of me when I was pregnant.....poor thing! :D

I think I know how she feels... I was only a few days past my due date, but it felt like I was pregnant forever! :P

I have no idea how many they usually have, just wanted to say good luck raising the babies you have (or "eat up, girls!" if you don't want babies lol).

I have no clue - my neighbor has a tank of guppies and I know they have babies all the time. It seems like they have them a lot of times at night and when she gets up she "saves" a few and the others fend for themselves I guess. She has that breeding grass in the bottom of her tank where if they are smart the babies will hide. I would think they would have them all at one time, but like I said I have no idea or personal experience in the matter. Good luck! :hi

Oh wheres Koko when you need her!? Her hubby has been raising guppies forever. I think they usually tend to have more than 5, around 20-30 I'd guess. I once found two in my guppy tank, the only survivors after a water change and a big mean filter. :( Im not sure how long it takes them to have them but it could be about a day (poor things). They can also have up to 6 litters after having been with a male guppy! Also just to warn you sometimes the females do die after giving birth, sadly. They dont seem to be very strong fish and they already have a short life span, so I guess all that stress really affects them.

Well, 2 babies seem to have *disappeared*, and I took the non-pregnant girl out and put her with the boys. The mom is still in there, I want her to have the rest of her babies in the same tank, otherwise they might be a big meal for the guppies in the other tank. The tank is heavily planted, so for now the 3 are safe.

Its so much easier to take care of guppy babies than betta babies. They are already as big as the bettas of 3 weeks! And just eat the slightly crumbled adult food, brine shrimp and chopped bloodworms.Easy care! :)

yay i can help ! they *can* have anything between 20-200 fry(NOT very often u get more than 50, but 200 has been reported !), this happeneing over a period of a few hours, but sometimes their first time they only give about 15, once she has started her babies, she will produce again approx 1 month from now so watch your dates and next time u know when to look out for them, unfortunatly mine spat em all out in the middle of the night, and i have angelfish in the tank :( , only managed to rescue four, 2 of which died when a neon jumped into the breeder box and another i guess wasnt meant to live, 1 baby left :)

hope i helped :)

Kev :ill

They can have 20 -200 babies

Im planing to get guppies to start breading

ifish ,Im going to be getting them after i get my 45 gal

for my goldfish and then i can ptu them in there(the guppies)

I can't wait im not sure but i remember reading

that guppies can change there sexe?

im not sure

When I had guppies I would usually get about 30, but I'm sure some of them got eaten. Don't forget that the mother will eat the babies just as fast as the other girls. <_<

Archived