Penguin Vs Regent/aquatec

Kissy

When I bought my used 29 gallon tank, it came with a "regent" filter. I had never heard of it, but its a 30-60 model, and it looked liked it sucked up enough water for the tank. I recently got a penguin mini filter, and it looks so similar! I was actually flipping thru the regent handbook, and I could not find the difference betweem my 100 gph penguin mini (with no bio wheel) and the smallest regent model. I think the bigger penguin models have bio wheels, and none of these regent filters have biowheels. I was reading another members post about aquatech vs penguin filters, and it seems to be exactly the same as my regent (no bio wheels too). The filter cartridges my regent uses are by aquatech. I believe that all three filters are made by marineland. So is the bio wheel the only difference beween regent and penguin? What IS the difference between regent and aquatech? Maybe aquatech started out as regent and they just changed their name, because I can't find regent filters anywhere.

Also, if anyone has my filter, do you know the gph of it? Its gotta be at least 300.

I dont know anything about those filters other then regent is aquatech. And from what I tried to find about the one you have is, its supposed to be close to a penguin 330 but around 10% less output.

Hope that helped

Thanks Silver :)

I'm not good in the math area so I just kept plugging numbers I thought might work into the calculator til I got something sensible. Is 90% of 350 about 315? :huh:

Ah-Hah! :lol:

Good research, you! ;)

I have found that they pump well enough to keep the bio-wheels spinning and cannot see any visual difference in the output from either the 170 or

This is a little known secret in the aquatics busines. there are a few well known brands of filters that have the same model made, with a different name, for large chain stores like vvvv and nnnnnn.

The Regents (sold at nnnnnn with the tank filter combos) are the exact same filter as the old Penguin bio-wheel filters. The only diff is that the Regent does not come with a bio-wheel. However, you can purchase a Bio-Wheel and mount it on your Regent. Just get the Wheel that is made for the size filter you have. But, you'll have to custom cut the Regents lid if you want to still use it. Otherwise, run it without the lid.

This is a Regent 20-40 being converted. Notice the brackets are there for the Bio-wheel to sit on:

post-1193-1129855891_thumb.jpg

If you want to use the lid, cut it out to look like this:

post-1193-1129855933_thumb.jpg

It needs to be a clean job of cutting so that you have enough clearance for the bio-wheel but still retaining as much of the structural support as you can, so the lid remains a snug fit.......

There are also the remakes (30-60) Regent models, like yours, that is a copy of the Penguin 330. The same from above applies to your filter....

Hope this helps! :D

Paul

Thanks Paul!

What are the advantages of a biowheel? If I get one, it probably won't be for a while cuz I don't have much money and there are other fishy things I need more right now.

The bio-wheel, once colonized like the one below, will become a very large portion of your bio-filtration. The brown stuff you see on it is beneficial bacterias and other organisms that keep your tankwater good for your fish.

biowheel.jpg

Normally, the bio-bugs (beneficial bacteria) located in your filter, are going to be found on your filter cartridge. Thats why its recommended to rinse them out in a bucket of old tankwater. Doing so in un-dechlorinated water could result in a reduction in your filters ability to keep your water free of ammonia and nitrItes. This may or may not happen though. Every tank and scenario is different. But, having extra rom for your good bugs to grow will give you a very large margin for error, thus greatly reducing the chance of "bio-filtration failure".

Any filter that employs a bio-wheel, a media basket, or room for some sort of bio-media is BETTER than one without...... ;)

Paul

ewww bio bugs look gross!!! I'm sure in a couple months I'll get used to them tho, and think they look cute or something...like I did with snails lol

A bio-wheel sounds like a handy thing to have around! I'll definately look into when I have more money :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am a huge fan of a well colonized bio-wheel.

Yes, to an extent. But you still have to maintain the sponges so that they still allow sufficient flowthrough. Bio-Wheels NEVER need to be cleaned. I have some that have been spinning for several years with a HUGE amount of colonization on them. They actually have weight to them if you lift 'em up off the filters.

All-in-all, You can never have too much bio-filtration on a goldfish tank. So sponges AND a bio-wheel, if possible, would be even better! ;)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest Mutsukai

I have an aqua-tech 5-15; can I do this too? I don't know if it will fit, I can't see a slot for the bio-wheel . . .

Yes you can. The parts needed are the bio wheel bearings, bracket, and the bio wheel, of course.

Regent Aqua Tech 5-15 gallon tanks = Penguin Mini Bio Wheel

Regent Aqua Tech 10-20 gallon tanks = Penguin Bio Wheel 125

Regent Aqua Tech 20-40 gallon tanks = Penguin Bio Wheel 170

Regent Aqua Tech 30-60 gallon tanks = Penguin Bio Wheel 330

Note that the Penguin 330 and the Aqua Tech 30-60 uses two (2) bio wheels so you will need two sets of bearings, two bio wheels, and two bio wheel brackets.

Another money saver is the cartridges for the Aqua Tech filter is the same as the Penguin

EZ Change # 1 cartridge = Penguin Mini, Mini Bio Wheel and Biowheel 100 or Rite Size A

EZ Change # 2 cartridge = Penguin Bio Wheel 110, 125, and 150 or Rite Size B

EZ Change # 3 cartridge = Penguin Bio Wheel 160, 170, 200, 300, 330, and 350 or Rite Size C

I really hope this helps people save money.

Another note: IF YOU BUY THE NEW AQUA-TECH FITLERS, YOU WILL HAVE TO REMOVE THE BIO-FIBER IN ORDER TO USE THE BIO-WHEEL BECAUSE IT IS TOO CLOSE TO THE BIO-WHEEL AND IT WILL HINDER ROTATION. I LEARNED THIS THE HARD WAY.

• 3 years later...
Guest lightdg555

I have an aqua tech 20-40 and i have the bracket bearing and bio wheel but cant seem to get it to set right does anyone know how to convert the aqua tech to take a bio wheel? thx for the help!

Archived