My Fantail Keeps Yawning

nichjake

I've got my fantail in with my other two goldies now and for some reason she keeps yawning. At first I thought water quality but neither of my other two are yawning. I've been sitting here watching them and the fantail has yawned four times in the last ten minutes, its starting to worry me. I just ran out of test strips, won't be able to get any till tomorrow. I checked the water yesterday and the ammonia and nitrites were both zero, the nitrates were 10, pH is around 7.8. The tank is only 5 gals, which I suspect is the problem. I'm planning to get a larger tank as soon as I get enough money and away to get it back to my dorm, maybe next weekend. The fish are all under two inches.

In the meantime is there anything I can do besides change the water everyday and feed them less? Could the yawning be caused by something else? I just added the fantail yesterday but she was in QT for two weeks before I added her, I know shes healthy and she wasn't yawning before. :unsure:

The 5 gallon tank is likely part of the problem. What kind of aeration do you have in the tank? I am guessing this may be related to that as well.

With all of them in the 5 gallon, I would definately feed less and keep doing water changes everyday to keep the water in good condition.

If you have the air stone and the filter going well, then I guess aeration is not the problem. It could be a parasite like Laurie said but usually I would expect to see some flashing or twitching going on. Nothing like that is happening at all?

Besides the yawning she has been completley normal, no signs of parasites or anything like that. She didn't start doing this until I put her in with my other goldies last night. The other two arent doing anyhting abnormal

Could putting too much dechlorinator/ammonia eliminator make her do this? I changed some water last night after I put her in just to make sure the ammonia levels were down being that I'm out of test strips, I added a little too much dechlorinator/ ammonia eliminator by accident but didn't think much of it until now...could that be part of the problem?

No I don't think that is the problem. Even though as Sara said it is more common to see other symptoms of parasites, my bet is on that.

I would go ahead and do a over all parasite treatment such as Parasite Clear by Jungle Labs.

If you read a pinned thread of Toothless's you will discover all kinds of things we didn't know about parasites, it is a wonderful thread. I will link it.

Here it is.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=30935

I won't be able to get any meds until sunday...I just can't get out and about. I read in the thread that LaurieP attached that salt gets rid of pretty much everything. During quarentine I had her tank salted so that would take care of all the paracites except for the salt resistant costia.

I'm beginning to think that she might have a parasite because I did a fifty percent water change earlier today and she is still yawning. Ohhh, I hope she'll be alright till then. If she gets any worse I'll skip class to go get some meds but I don't want to do that unless I absolutely have to :unsure:

If you did use salt in the 30 days, then you may be facing flukes. Of course to identify them you really need a scope. Are you able to use one at school?

The salt has only been going about 16 days now. I don't think I can get ahold of a microscope at school but I've got one at home, I'll have my mom bring it up this weekend.

Archived