Aquatech <-> Marineland

gchen

So, I had once noted that nnnnnn were selling nearly equivalent versions of Marineland systems under the trade name of AquaTech. The literature contained in the box was the same, and the bottom of the boxes even said, "Made by Marineland". Some of the systems appeared completely identical, like my Hex 5 system. However, it just dawned on me that the filter that came with my 55-gallon Aqua-Tech kit doesn't have a Bio-Wheel! Instead, it has a pad of fibrous material for the nitrifying bacteria to live on. I went into Pet Club and saw that the build of my AquaTech filter was nearly identical to a Marineland Penguin 350, except the Penquin has a Bio-Wheel. I don't know why Marineland chose to make the filter different for their AquaTech 55-gallon kit when the smaller AquaTech systems all have Bio-Wheels. Think I should upgrade to a name-brand Marineland filter with a Bio-Wheel?

There might be a place on the Aquatechs for a biowheel, if you can find the Biowheels separate. Are there any narrow grooves before where the water comes out?

There might be a place on the Aquatechs for a biowheel, if you can find the Biowheels separate. Are there any narrow grooves before where the water comes out?

414334[/snapback]

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Why buy a whole filter if I can just add two little wheels to my existing filter? However, I don't see a place where the Bio-Wheel can go.

414334[/snapback]

Yeah, and apparently, these are the new and improved penquins. They look pretty slick. I'm just afraid there has been a pricing mistake.

Anyway, if my tank cycles completely with my Aquatech filter, I'd be tempted to keep it rather than risk starting over. However, I'm having problems getting this tank cycled, and I'm wondering whether the wheel would have made a difference.

Interesting, it looks like someone has already done the research to convert an AquaTech filter to a Marineland filter with bio-wheel.

Gene Heitman

Guest Posts: n/a

Re: Aqua-Tech Filter Changes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got the Aqua-Tech 20-40 as part of a 29 gallon setup from nooppee. The

20-40 filter is identical to the Marineland Penguin 170 but without the

BIO-Wheel. You can order one of each of the parts listed below to make your

20-40 the same as a Penguin BIO-Wheel 170:

PR1910B - BIO-Wheel Bearings - Qty. 2

PR1925B - BIO-Wheel Bracket

PR1940B - BIO-Wheel Assembly

PR1962B - Filter Box Cover

I did the conversion myself and if you have a good local fish store you

shouldn't have any problems getting the parts. You may find it cheaper to

just go out and buy a new Penguin BIO-Wheel 170.

Gene Heitman

Ahh!

Customer Comments

The BIO-Wheels from the Penguin 330 will fit the AquaTech 30-60 Filter ... But it's a little bit confusing because you need to get 2 BIO-Wheel Assemblies, 2 BIO-Wheel Brackets, and 2 sets of BIO-Wheel Bearings. I have used the same names for the parts as appear in the list below from Marineland's web site.

After you get all these parts, you put one of the blue colored Bearings on each end of the shaft that runs through the BIO-Wheel Assembly, then you snap the BIO-Wheel Assembly with the Bearings into the BIO-Wheel Bracket, and set this whole Enchilada on the AquaTech Filter. Then you repeat this process to make a second Enchilada and put it on the other side of the AquaTech 30-60.

You can see an exploded diagram and a list of parts on Marineland's web site at

http://www.marineland.com/products/diagram.../n_peng_330.asp

You'll need the following list of parts from their list.

Order Item Key Description

2 PR 1910B 14 BIO-Wheel Bearings Pkg-2

2 PR 1930B 17 BIO-Wheel Bracket

2 PR 1945B 20 BIO-Wheel Assembly

This list shows that you need two of each item listed, this will give you 4 Bearings, 2 Brackets, and 2 BIO-Wheel Assemblies. You might want to add

Order Item Key Description

1 PR 1972B 23 Filter Box Cover for 330B

I don't use a cover on my filter, and I don't seem to need a cover. By the way, this filter will not work with just one Enchilada. One Enchilada won't turn, but of course two will.

Recently a local vvvv had all these parts in stock. I got all the parts, assembled two Enchiladas, put them on my AquaTech 30-60, and it works fine.

Apparently the AquaTech and Penguin filters are made in the same building by the same people. The AquaTech 30-60 pumps about 10% less water than the Penguin 330. But this amount will probably not make a significant difference in most aquariums.

FishyFred

Archived