Complete Eye Loss

Guest Mrs. Raven

Guest Mrs. Raven

I woke up to find Tyler with one of his eyes completely gone. Absolutely no clue as to what happened...caught on something...a fight with a tank mate...no clue and no evidence.

I've moved him to a hospital tank. Since I'm still working on getting the tank to cycle, I started out with new (pH matched) water with airstone and filter.

Other than starting to salt up to 0.3% and keeping water conditions perfect, does anyone have any experience with this condition? He seems to be in good spirits, eating well and behaving normally otherwise.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions in keeping this from going downhill from here.

Mrs. Raven

As long as he is looking and acting fine, I think salt is the best. I would keep a really close eye on him (no punt intended) to make sure he doesn't get any kind of infection, or fungus where his eye was. He is very susceptible to all kinds of things right now. Keep his water perfect, with frequent water changes.

Do you have other telescope fish? I would do my best to try and figure out what caused this, because it could happen to one of the others. What kind of filter do you have? Is it in good condition? I ask this, because sometimes fish can get caught in the filter. If you give us a little more info on how you tank is set up, and what fish are in there. We might be able to help you figure out what happen to you little fish. :D

• Supporter

First, let me say that I am entirely new here and know next to nothing about goldfish. But I have been reading everything here and noticed this post down below. I am not sure if the same things apply to you, but I thought it might be of some use. Good luck with your fish!

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=36992

Guest Mrs. Raven

Thanks for your notes...

He was in a 25 gallon tank with six other very small fish...I've cleared the amount with Rick at Goldfish Connection. He calls them "little guys"... They were all purchased at the same time from the same tank at the store and haven't shown any aggression with one another.

Anyway, I have a Penquin 330 "ish" with the lower intake tube covered with filter material. It has a valve halfway up which was opened a couple days ago. This is probably the likely culprit and it's since been closed.

The tank is bare on the bottom at Rick's suggestion. I like it alot better than gravel...a whole lot better. I have put in silk plants with weighted bottoms in order to create interest and quiet spots for them. It's possible he got slammed into one of the bases in a feeding frenzy...but no eye at the bottom of the tank. I'm sure it was yummy if this was the case.

I'm at the what's done is done point and ready to learn whatever is possible here. I agree as to figuring out what happened. Having seen nothing other than the outcome, it's best to assume everything and try to keep the kid healthy and happy. I'd be very, very pleased to have him recover and live a long and happy life.

We are all off to bed...will check in for any suggestions in the morning.

Mrs. Raven

It sounds like your in pretty good condition. You are probable right about the opening in the valve being the problem. The rest sounds like it shouldn't have hurt him. Continue to keep us posted on how he does, and how adjusts to having one eye. :D Keep up the good work, it sounds like you are a good fish mommy.

Guest Mrs. Raven

Dear Mates:

I wanted to follow up with the outcome of Tyler's condition...

I have kept the salt at 0.3% and the water in near-perfect condition. I have been feeding him Medi-Gold. I also added Melafix and Pimafix while he was healing.

He is on his own in a small aquarium tank and doing well. He seems to have a dare-devil personality. It seems he is always in some sort of fix, but seems to land on his feet...most of the time!

Since he is the namesake for a character in My Hero, he's perfect. Though he causes more minding than the others, he appears to be a happy fish...and now, quite spoiled.

Mrs. Raven

Archived