Fish Got Caught In A Fliter But Still Lived?

Guest Lae215

Hey guys , one of my 4 gold fishes got sucked into the filter and i realized it before it was to late and i got him out of the little tube thing. Luckily he is still with us at the momment but im afraid with out his tail fin he wont last long, I took him out of my main 45g (United states) tank and put him into a rubbermaid type container ( don't worry its big enough) and supplyed him with air but i dont know what to do next. please help...

I would add a tablespoon of aquarium salt per 5 gallons (dissolve before adding into container) to help ease stress. Also, since I am guessing the container has new water it is not cycled, so do some daily water changes and test the water to make sure your params read: ammonia 0 and nitrite 0 or no higher than .25-.50.

Also, if you plan on keeping him isolated in this "hospital" tank for a while, get a filter for it and keep up with the high aeration.

He lost his whole entire tail fin? You might want to look into getting some Melafix which helps repair injuries and damaged fins.

How many gallons is this container? Is there anything in it besides the fish?

Keep us posted and Good luck! Poor fishie :heart

Without a cycled tank, the ammonia can get high very quickly in his tub, so you need to do daily waterchanges. You need pristine water for your fishie to heal. Do you have a test kit for ammonia or other things? Maybe you can salt his tank. Do you have aquarium salt? If you do, measure out 1 teaspoon per gallon and disolve it in a cup of his tank water, then dump it in. 12 hours later, dose again, and then 12 more hours dose one more time so he is up to 3 teaspoons of salt per gallon. The salt should help him heal up a bit. You can turn out the lights to help him calm down as well. I hope he gets better!

Hey guys his container give or take is about 2.5 gallons ( hes not that big about 1.5 inches long) I just went out and got aqaurium salt and added it for him so things should be okay. Hes trying to swim but without his whole ... fin i dont think he cant keep up with my other goldfish in my 45 gallon tank. I started getting interested in my aqarium , well it was my dads and it was filthy because he stoped careing so i had to take action. The only thing in the container is Him and an air bubble thing so he wont sucifcate. And yes i have test kits excetp an ammonia one kinda broke right after i got the salt , ph test kit and nitrite test kit. Ph is about at 7.2 and nitrite is about 80 . What makes it worse is before hegot sucked into the filter i was treating my community with antibiotics for ick/ich. Will keep yaw posted. Thanks alot.

And ... yeah almost his whole tale fin came off he has about 1/4 left and like the filter nipped away at the rest of his fins. He has enough of them to swim around but he cant stay afloat very long.

2.5 gallons is pretty small..even if the goldfish is small too, and it will be near impossible to do the number of waterchanges needed to keep ammonia down without stressing him out. Do you have any storage tubs? These will work much better :)

Yeah its pretty small. Right at the momment i don't have anyhwere else to put him but if he makes it through the night Ill go buy a 10 gallon hospital tank.

All you need to do is salt, get a 10 gallon tub, treat with Melafix , and daily 30% water changes and he will have a good chance at healing. Without all of that he most likely will just get worse. Nitrite is 80???? Are you sure you didn't mean Nitrate? I hope he gets better, what a nightmare :(

Hey his names Frank. This morning he seems to be doing ok. He's moving more then i expected and im really happy he made it this long. Ill be updateing soon.

Hi Lae215 - sorry to welcome you under sad circumstances - but :welcome

We will try to give it a happy ending!

Sounds like your Frank is foing OK so far! :goodjob and fast thinking - I think he will just fine under your care! Have you had any ideas yet about how to make the filter intake safer for him?

If you see him not improving, please be sure to post a new thread, answering all the questions in the red box, in the 911 forum - a pro will be there right away to help you through it!

But, it sounds as though it is going well! :heart Please gives us an update!

Hey everyone franks fine, Im very very happy I got the 10g tank and the melafix and i added some salt to his tank and he's swimming around like He has a tail fin. Thanks alot for all the support and information, i couldent have done it with out you.

Yay!! Go Frank!

Sounds like he is recovering very well :) However, the battle isn't quite over yet. Make sure his water is *pristine* at all times so it won't get infected. If it gets infected, that's a whole 'nother problem. I'm so glad he is doing better tho, and that he's got a nice big tank to recover in.

So how did he get hurt in the filter? Did he actually get sucked up the intake tube or stuck on the outside or what? You might want to cover the tube with some fastened cheese cloth or a newly bought sponge to prevent anything bad happening agian, to Frank or any of the other fish.

yep Yesterday after the problem i went out and bought a new filter... haha i couldent take the risk of him going into the intake tube again... When I pulled the intake tube out of the filter I seen his little body, but I didn't see him breathing so i assumed i lost him but then he started moving. So after that i tryed to get him out and poped him back into the tank and pulled out the power plug from that 7 year old filter. Now I got a whole new Bio-wheel which i think will do fine, Oh yeah franks a Shubunkin type goldfish so he's really pretty with well he once had nice long fins. Kinda reminds me of an angel.

Thanks again. Will uupdate soon.

Aww frank sounds really pretty :) Any picks of him?

I'm glad he's doing better. Remember you need to keep his water completely free of ammonia and nitrites, or else he may face a bacterial infection. It sounds like he will pull thru tho! I'm sure he's happy to have a new filter and a bigger temporary tank to heal in. How far gone is his tail? Is just the fin gone, or is there muscle and bone gone too?

Hey, sry no pix... no digi cam. Well his dorsal fin is damaged, His tail fin is almost gone but its not the muscle or bone thank god. If that happend I dont think he coulda pulled threw but Im glad franks still alive because when I got him i got 5 shubunkin goldfish, and i already had lost 1 due to my other filter ... sucking him (Bart) and i guess he coulden't get free. So now Im pretty glad i still have 4 of em .

Just a warning..you are a little overstocked with four single tailed goldfish in a 45 gallon tank. A good rule of thumb is to have at least 15-20 gallons per single tailed goldfish. However, if you can't get a second tank, I think they will be okay as long as you keep an eye on water params and do lots of waterchanges, maybe twice a week. A tank full of shubbies sounds very pretty :) Since only franks fins were damaged, there is a chance that he will regrow them. If they do grow back, they probably will not be as long or beautiful as before, but he won't be tailess. He sounds like such a trooper :)

Archived