Before I Can Get A Chance To Do Anything About It.

gialeigh

Ok, kitty is locked in the laundry room. I had been watching him all day, and when I leave the house to go grocery shopping for 30 minutes, he strikes again. Its like he knows he is doing something bad, and he waits until Im not there to do it.

So my favorite moor has a gash in his side. All of the fish in that tank are sitting at the bottom. I think he may have gotten Lacy too. My fantail is sitting with them at the bottom...but I do not see any damage on him.

I cannot believe this. I feel like such a horrible fish mom. I think it is my fault because I taught them to eat from my hand. I put more plants up and things to keep Milo from getting up there, but this time he simply knocked everything over to get to the top of the tank.

My question now is how can I treat my little moor. I dont know if he will survive...the gash looks like it could be pretty deep. He is bleeding and there is scales and skin hanging off him. I immediatly changed 50% of the water in an attempt to keep the water pristine.

I put in some stess coat...that is all I have on hand. I asked hubby to pick up some aquarium salt and peroxide. Anything else I can do?

OMG I feel so horrible. I have to find something to cover that open area on the tank now. Ill be back in a bit to see if anyone has any advice for me. :cry1

So sorry about what happened. Try not to beat yourself up, it's not your fault. I don't have any experience with those types of wounds but I have a bottle of Melafix and I'm reading the label and it says "rapidly repairs damaged fins, ulcers and open wounds," "promotes regrowth of damaged tissue and fins". Maybe if you can get some Melafix it would help.

Hope your little fish makes it okay, I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for him.

GIA~

Sorry to hear about your moor, I don't really know what to tell you about treating him. It's not your fault that the kitty gets into the tank though, Really what it boils down to is naturaul insnict. I had my tank low enough that my kittens could get into the spot on the tank that the filter was in, But all they ever did was stick their paws in there. I never caught them trying to caputre a fish.

I am not sure what you could do to keep kitty out of the tank, What I have found that works for other displinary acts is spray bottle of water. Everytime you see kitty up there squirt!!!! They will evenutally get the drift and stop the unwanted behavoir. Listerine works wonders also in a spray bottle with some water, They HATE the taste of it when they go to lick themselves off. It's not mean either, Some people may assume that but really it's nothing.

I hope your moor heals up and everyone else is fine. Good luck I hope you find a way to keep kitty away from fishies..... <_< :hug

You can treat the wound with a iodine swab. Be careful not to get it in the eye's,gills or mouth and only once. Then you can seal the wound as follows, mind you this a trick for ulcers, but wounds can also be done the same:

Tinture of Benzoin: get from the pharmacy over the counter. Use it in a small spray bottle

Fasteeth, extra hold powder.

Safety Pin to keep the vial hole open should it get wet.

Clean the ulcer very well, pull loose scales and trim any frayed skin. Using Q-tips, clean with peroxide, then paint with iodine. If you've pulled scales, get into the scale pocket. If the scale is loose enough to get under it, do so. Then spray the powder on the ulcer and overlap a bit into good skin. If you get the tip of the bottle wet, you will need a safety pin or something similar to open the hole again. At this point, if you have the ticture of benzoin, spray with that as a final sealer. If not, then just return the fish to the pond. The powdered adhesive will get sticky, forming a bond that will last about 3-5 days in the pond before wearing off. It keeps the med in and the water out during that period, allowing the fish a chance to heal.

I am quite suprised - Milo must have had a wonderful hunter for a mom - one who was constantly catching and eating fish. Normally cats will only do what their mothers have taught them. Without that teaching, a cat will play with fish and rodents, but never actually eat them......

That said, if you do not want to treat the wound, rest assured that most of the nastiest wounds on fish will heal, and heal quickly and well, given pristine water conditions and a bit of time. I have had extremely invasive surgery done on fish and within a week, they heal. I had a fsih brought to me that had been speared by a heron - a huge chunk of his side was simply gone. I disinfected it and put him in a hospital tank. He had started a good healing process within a week and within a month was ready to go home to his own house. He was back in the pond by the middle of the summer.

SOmetimes I pack a few PP crystals into a wound to throughly disinfect the wound, and then just watch the fish. They heal very fast - particularly cuts and open wounds as long as there is no underlying cause - such as bacteria, virus or parasites. For a tramatic injury such as this, I think I would disinfect it with PP and keep the fish in clean water. He should be fine.

Do not use the PP more than once - it can damage healing tissue and set back healing by several days if used after the wound starts to heal.

Clip Milo's claws closely.

:(

Oh thanks for your responses! Tamianth, that is a great tip! And Daryl, I think I will start trimming his claws.

Ok, so I immediatly changed 50% of the water. Hubby came home with the peroxide and aquarium salt. I took out my damaged fishies (he got Lacy too) and swabbed there wounds, being careful of the gills.

I put them back in and added a bit of salt.

I woke up this morning and was fully expecting to see my little moor floating at the top. But he was just swimmin' around. Pecking at the gravel. He is just swimming a little weird, which may be because he is sore. Lacy is ok too. She only had a little scratch and a mising scale.

I taped up a peice of cardboard and put double sided tape all over it lol. So hopefully now if he ever gets up there again he will hate it so much he wont try to jump up there anymore.

YEAH! Gia - you are a great fishy mom! I was reading your other thread but had to go before I got to reply... these are the unexpected things that happen no matter how hard we try to cover every base... I am sorry that you moor died! :heart

But, I am very glad to hear that this moor is recovering well! Out of all this madness will come some better solutions for everyone - so you and kitty and fishies can all live in harmony! Please keep us updated!

And you might want to rename the cat! :rofl He's got some deep-rooted instincts - you will never have to worry about that one! :D

WOW. You know I am so Impressed with this little fishy. As long as his wound does not get infected, I think he is going to be fine. I just need to make sure his water stays perfect and I guess that is all I can do. Should I keep some antibacterial medicine on hand just in case?

his wound is on his left side and he is swimming tilted to the left. He is not using his fin much on that side..maybe that is why he is swimming weird. i noticed a little spec of blood in his eye, so milo must have got him there too. :(

Im so glad he is ok so far and so thankful for all your kind words and advice!

Here are some hoods - they are a bit pricey but they would allow Milo the Hun and the fish to live in peace! Or maybe give the dimensions you need for a DIY one -

http://www.elmersaquarium.com/h109masterkit27hexagon.htm - for the picture

http://www.thatpetplace.com/MainPro/tanklist.aspx - under Perfecto Recessed & Odd Shaped Hoods

Archived