Spare "tiny" Tank

Guest Mfish

Ok. So I had a spare 2.5 gallon tank that I was going to put a betta from school in, but it died :rip: . So now I can choose what I want (still is sad though :( )

It has a 20GPH filtration system so thats pretty good. So heres my options:

1. Get a betta. This is the most simple solution, but I don't really want another betta.

2. Get 3 Panda Cories (or other cory). I would like this option, but don't know if it would work.

3. Get a couple Khuli loaches. Or a combo w/ cories.

4. Get a few guppies. I don't have any space for guppy fry. :(

5. A school of small tetras. Black phantom, neon, etc.

6. A couple rosy red minnows.

7. A few WC minnows.

8. Or finally, a combo of few of them.

Any advice is welcomed. Thanks in advance. :D

Does your tank have a filter?

The best thing would probably be a betta. Most of the others you mentioned are schooling fish and they won't have enough room for enough of them, or for them to school around. Ever thought of a snail? I heard they make interesting pets.

im with kissy. a betta would be the best option. even tiny fish like tetras need about a gallon each, and you need to have them ideally in groups of 6 up. that would mean 6g's at least :)

as kissy said - have you got a filter?

you could use the tank for some snails, or even an african dwarf frog :) they are nice :heart

Oh I forgot all about the froggies, thanks tink :)

I've never owned any, but I hear they are fun! If you don't have a filter, the best thing would be a betta since all others need a filter. I'm sure you could buy a small one for very cheap if you don't want a betta.

For a tank that small, I would go with a single betta or a single African Dwarf Frog. You could probably keep 2 or 3 male guppies instead. Or females, if you prefer, but I would go for males since there's no chance you'd end up with fry LoL

You could perhaps even go with some ghost shrimp or a snail, or just a mini planted tank :) Good luck choosing!

My little guys aren't hard to feed :) They don't like to hunt for it themselves for some reason so I hand feed :) They get a little excited and feeding time and will sometimes try and snap at my fingers. It's so cute! LoL :)

Guest PetalFlower

What about hermit crabs, those are pretty cool too. Do you have any other fish? Maybe you should just use it for brine shrimp to feed your fish with.

Ok. So I had a spare 2.5 gallon tank that I was going to put a betta from school in, but it died :rip: . So now I can choose what I want (still is sad though :( )

It has a 20GPH filtration system so thats pretty good. So heres my options:

1. Get a betta. This is the most simple solution, but I don't really want another betta.

Would work well

2. Get 3 Panda Cories (or other cory). I would like this option, but don't know if it would work.

DONT DO IT. Not enough floor space, nor water space!

3. Get a couple Khuli loaches. Or a combo w/ cories.

Again, NO, please dont

4. Get a few guppies. I don't have any space for guppy fry. :(

maybe a pair or males, if you keep up with your water changes, but no more

5. A school of small tetras. Black phantom, neon, etc.

Maybe 3 neons, glowlights OR Blackneons, but not the larger tetras, and only 3 total

6. A couple rosy red minnows.

maybe a pair if you keep up on water changes

7. A few WC minnows.

maybe 3... but a pair would do better

8. Or finally, a combo of few of them.

dont have the space

Any advice is welcomed. Thanks in advance. :D

413900[/snapback]

You need to remember the Gallon of water per inch of ADULT fish rule. I have tried the over stocking a 2.5 thing before, it just ends up in heartach and guilt. If you want a bunch of small fish, you could prolly do 10-15 Heterandria formosa, if you can find them

http://www.petfish.net/het.htm

if it were ME, I'd do a pair of african dwarf frogs... or a female betta and a snail... :D (I have a female betta and a snail in my 2.5 right now)

How do you feed them?

415146[/snapback]

For my 2 ADFs, I have a flat thing of frozen blood worms. I heat it up under some hot water to unthaw it a little to get a small blob off.. Swirl it around in a small container to lossen the worms up and clean some of the junk off them, rinse one more time... I grab a single worm by the end with some tweezers and place it in front of a frog and it'll grab it from the tweezers :) I give them each 3-5 worms, depending on how many I grabbed from the container of them. I feed mine every 2 or 3 days so it's not really that bad :)

Crabs would be fun :D I see the little Fiddler crabs in mmm sometimes and thought they would be so fun to have, but I wouldnt' want to keep them with fish because of those claws o.0 LoL

• 2 weeks later...

Yay!!!

I adopted a betta from school. :D

Hes happy as can be. I also got an Anachris (I think), Melon Sword, Mondo grass, and a tiny bit of Hornwort for the tank.

Also went to a new LFS (totally different story) that I loved :heart and bought a dozen ghost shrimp. I know thats a lot of shrimp.

Can anyone tell me about the plants I got?

• 2 weeks later...

Okay. I will post pictures of his tank in a little bit.

Right now I need to know something:

I have two plants in question,

1. is Mondo grass. Its not a real aquatic plant is it?

2. is a Melon Sword. What are the requierments for this plant?

I have melon sword. It's a plant that gets big. It'll probably fill out the 2.5 gallon tank completely. The sword in my tank is a melon sword, you can see it growing in the pictures I have there.

As for care, it's a root feeding plant so you'll need to either have an iron rich substrate or give it a root tab. It needs moderate amounts of light. Mine has been exploding and I haven't done anything specific to take care of it.

Mondo grass isn't an aquatic plant, it's a swamp plant and it wont survive long term in a fully aquatic set up.

Archived