Don't know ammonia levels

Nitrite 3.0-5.0

Nitrate 0-20

pH 7.8

Tank = 10 Gallon running about 3 weeks however had to replace filter week ago

Filter = Penquin Biowheel 100

doing 50% water changes 2x a day b/c of nitrite levels

2 fish in tank, 1 about 5 in 1 about 2.5 in

Have added salt, ACE (for ammonia) and start right for chlorine with water change

no meds

no new fish

Tetrafin flakes

Noticed 2 white spots on tail yesterday and now today has piece of tail missing - he is a white fish and I do notice the blood vessels in his tail - he appears to be behaving normally.

I'm trying hard to keep my tank in check...I posted yesterday in water chemistry about getting my tank thru the cycle and not knowing about all of this until about a week ago, but desperately want to keep my fish healthy!

What is this and what do I do now???? I don't want my 2 yo comet to get the same problem. Can I isolate to a fish bowl b/c I don't have another tank at this point...

Thanks!

Shannon

Hi,

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

I think the tail problem stems from poor water quality. You've already added salt (10 teaspoons?), but I'm not sure what ACE and start right are. I'll try and go0gle them to find out...

Keep up the daily water changes and perhaps feed sparingly on alternate days.

Slugger :)

Guest jdsacannon

Okay, so now I'm thinking I shouldn't be adding the start right...I could just use the ACE...I'm probably going to switch products altogether - I noticed a lot of people use Amquel or Prime.

I've added about 2 tbsp salt for 10 gallons. Should I use more?

I would add 30 level teaspoons of aquarium salt to your 10 gallon tank. This will help with your fish's tail. I'm not sure how that translates to tablespoons.

Slugger :)

Hi and welcome!!

At this point you need to be doing water changes upon changes. With nitrites that high, you should do a 50% water change every hour until you get it to 1 or lower.

Fish will become poisoned very quickly with high nitrites to that degree.

If you are thinking of switching I think Prime is the better of the 2.

Oh also, you will need to be checking the ammonia everyday as well, I am suspecting high ammonia with that type of nitrites.

Another thought of why Prime instead of Amequel, Amequel will give false ammonia readings do to it binds the ammonia to a non toxic effect yet it shows on the test.

I suspect that you damaged the cycle of the tank by switching filters.

Are you familar with a cycle and how it works? If not we can break it down for you.

And finally, having 2 fish in a 10 gal tank is a bit overstocked. GF need 10 gal each to live healthily in. They are messy creatures and need plenty of water to dilute the waste.

Keep up on the changes, test an hour after each one and when you reach your goal let us know. I think the fish may feel better soon after.

Guest jdsacannon

I agree about the filter but unfortunately i had no choice...i have a 2 yo son who decided to "feed" the fish himself and dumped all the food into the tank AND messed up the old filter, so here we are today...

so here's what I'm going to do...

buy the prime

buy the appropriate ammonia test kit.

gradually increase the salinity of the water to a .3% solution

and begin some crazy water changes until I get my levels way down!

does that sound about right? thanks for all the help and let me know if there is something I'm missing.

Sounds like a plan. Good luck. Can't think of anything other than if the tail looks like it could be infected to get some medicated food to feed. Most lfs don't have any, but you can get it online at goldfish connection.com. Ric is a good guy and he carries a couple different kinds.

I can sympathize about the little boy, goodness all he want'ed to do was feed the fishies!!

Archived