What To Feed My New Fish!

shark_energy

I have 4 fish - 2 Red Caps, a blackmoor and a regular goldfish. The lady in the shop (im new to this) said that there was some goldfish flakes in the tank box but DON'T use them as I was already using a certain brand of flakes for the existing goldfish we had and you shouldn't mix. Is this true?

Also, I read people giving their fishes treats, is this really good for them then? Bit of veg or food variety? Should they be treats alongside a daily feeding time or instead of?

Goldfish do best with a varied diet, so the lady in the shop was wrong in that respect. Flakes dont generally contain all the neccessary nutrients for goldfish and it is best to feed sinking high protein food as a staple part of their diet. www.goldfishconnection.com sell an excellent food called Progold which you might like to try?

As well as their pellets, it's good to feed peas (frozen and defrosted, shelled, then chopped well) twice a week to avopid constipation and swim bladder problems. It's also a good idea to feed live or frozen bloodworms and brineshrimp at least once a week. As well, as this, they do enjoy just about any fruit or vegetable as a treat a couple of times a week. Just use your common sense and shell, deskin it, cook it lightly if hard etc. Favourites of my fish are romaine lettuce, cucumber, orange (cut a round slice and float on top of tank), swede, peas, banana, green beans and sprouts. Fresh and frozen veg is fine but canned should be avoided as it has sugar and salt added.

I usually feed pellets for breakfast then either veg, fruit or live food in the evening. That way i know my fish get all the nutrients they need.

I feed my fish blood worms, tubifex worms, 2 different types of sinking pellets, oranges, cantelope, bananas, strawberries, grapes, boiled cauliflower, boiled brocoli, fresh spinach, fresh romaine lettuce, peas, boiled frozen green beans, boiled carrots, boiled fresh shrimp(then chop it into little pieces), and occasionally fresh tuna. I always feed my fish their normal food(sinking pellets) in the morning and then some sort of treat in the late afternoon. I feed veggies 3-4 times a week and fruit only once every other week. Fruit should not be given more frequently than that because the sugar in fruit is not easy for the fish to digest. My fish have thrived wonderfully on this diet and have never been sick in the almost two years I have had them.

You could not get better advice than what fishyfan and lionhead said. A nice balanced diet with a good quality pellet being the main ingredient and then just mix it up from there. I have not come across many things that my goldies will not eat including every plant variety known too man.

One thing I will add is that I would never feed any type of live food. I see that you do that fishy and there is no argument from me of the nutrition they will get but in the long run the risks outweigh the benefits by a long margin. In my opinion it is just another way too introduce parasites when you can get the frozen type parasite free.

One day i would feed them flakes, then rolled oats, then peas the next day, and sometimes spinach. Though ill be buying the stuff for that gel recipe, try that.

~Nick

Archived