Nova Science-pbs

Fire_Wolf

Hey guys and gals,

PBS is running a show tonight, 8 pm NOva Science!

A plus for folks with wet pets!!! David Smothers, Moderator of Koivet will be featured in this!

From the reporter:

we've just posted an audio slide show on the Nova ScienceNOW website -- it's a several minute slide show of many different fish, and fish ailments (fish tuburculosis, bouyancy disorders ... it also features Dave's experience with back surgery on his koi). I've posted a bit about it on my blog, along with a link to the actual slide show: http://rebeccaskloot.blogspot.com/2...e-show-now.html

And if you miss the show on Tuesday, you will be able to watch it (and the slideshow) online Wednesday 10/19 by going to this link:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/sciencenow/3214/04.html

It was a short segment, but well done! I must say I wanted to see more...

If 15 or 20 minutes can be so well done, it would be nice to see what could be done in a hour length program! :)

I had to go up to my friends house to watch it. I don't have cable tv and my big sat dish I havn't bought a subscription for in ages. I never have much time to watch tv much so just invest in movies! Might have to break down and go digital one of these day's...... <_<

I just checked the link (I played it on Windows Media Player) and it worked - it is only 6 minutes (wich it was longer!) - maybe if you try again when the net is not so busy...

To sum it up, they talked about how fish are the number one household pet in America and then interviewed a woman with lots of goldies - she commented about how much personality they have. The show was making the point that people keep fish with as much sentiment as they do cats and dogs! And not just as decoration. So, they need for fish medical care is being addressed as more than 200 vets in the US are now practicing on fish. THen they showed Dr. Lewbart doing back surgery on Dan Smothers beloved koi (you HAVE to see his pond) -it got hit by lightening!!! They both agreed that although many people still think it is strange (of us GF freaks) to spend this time and money on care, that the demand is there! They closed by pointing out that fifty years ago, people laughed at dog companions for bringing them to the vet! They just shot a sick dog! Now, we wouldn't dream of it ans spend millions on (mammalian) pet care. In ten years, the show predicts, no one will be lauging at (us) fish lovers for taking them to the doc!

WONDERFUL! :heart

Here's the direct link for the site to view the clip. You only have to watch that segment of the show too! For those that missed it:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/sciencenow/

Sadly, Davids pond was struck by lightening again just a couple of weeks ago and he lost two koi with broken backs. :(

However, with persistance, they where able to track down a possible cause as to why the pond has been repeatedly struck and traced it back to having lights in pond. I would hazard a guess here and say area's that get lots of lightening that it is not a good idea to have anything electrical in pond, but rather to go with out of pond equipment.

OMG - Tamianth, that is so sad! His pond is so beautiful, he has put so much love and care into it - to think that lights would harm his fish! :cry1 I hope that removing them will solve the problem - is there any (affordable) anti-lightning equipment out there he could use? Grounded light systems? I hope that is the culprit only so that it can be made safer as soon as possible. :heart

Graham, as far as i know the lights where removed. Lightening rods where discussed also. Don't know if he will apply them though as experts felt the lights themselves where the problem.

I wished him well and good luck, he's on the road to the Charlotte show this weekend!

Glad you got to see it Kissy! I was so inspired by the awesome koi in the net David had. Got a kick outa the one laying in his arms too! Most of us are happy if they hand feed!

Wish I was rich, I saw a tancho up my dealers this year that was a real character, begging for treats from us. He would have his head up out of the water and open his mouth wide. he made me laugh as I kept thinking wow, just like shooting a basketball hoop! :rofl

Archived