Need Large Rocks For Tank

glitterfish

I live in Brooklyn, NY and have no idea where to get good sized rocks for my 30 gallon. Not HUGE rocks but nice size. Theyre so expensive in pet stores. Does anyone live in the NYC area and have any ideas? I dont know if places like Home Depot carry rocks? :thanks in advance!

How about going to a garden store/nursery? How about somewhere where they sell Zen gardens?

Also, you could try the kind of store that sells rocks - like for counter tops - I bet you could get nifty bits - maybe even free!I have been to some places like that in B'lyn when my friend redid his place - just look in the yellow pages. You can check the rock to make sure it is safe by putting vinegar on it - if it fizzes, it is not safe for aquarium use. And be sure to sterilize the rocks.

Good luck on your rock hunt! CAn't wait to see your new 30g set-up! :D

PS _ I love your glitter kitty!!!! :heart

Thanks so much for the info!! I will look into it definitely. Does any kind of vinegar work to test for fizziness? I have apple cider vinegar here.

I will definitely post pics after decorating! :D

Are there any other ways to tell if a rock is unsafe? I'm gonna go to a gravel/rock landscaping place soon to look for rocks too. I have tons of nice lava rocks that came with my tank, but they are too sharp for goldies...gotta wait several years for a bigger tropical tank :)

i actually trekked to jersey for a rock for my tank (i think it cost around $9, maybe a bit pricey, idunno? but it works). i can at least rest easy knowing it's safe for fish. it's quite hard to find a nice rock in the city, unfortunately.

there's a couple places in chinatown that focus on fish where i always get my aquarium plants from. maybe they can help you with an aquarium rock - maybe you can even buy one of the rocks inside the tanks, if they have. can't remember if they had rocks lying around the shop. sorry. i was too enthralled by the many fishies begging to be taken home!

there's one on mulberry street in little italy called called aqua star pet shop...or something to that likeness. there 2 other fish shops right around the corner from them as well - you can always ask the shop keepers, they'll point you in the right direction. one on mott, the other on the corner of mulberry & some street - can't remember at the moment. maybe you can give those places a shot.

there's a mmm in union square...but i find it to be lacking.

don't know if that was much help! :unsure: hahah

thanks! you are very helpful :)

i go to the mmm in union square all the time but as you said, theyre lacking. i just go there for the bubble eyes. haha

i will make a note of the little italy pet shops. i like to hunt for them :D

Archived