Scaredy Fish

Guest Leigh

Hello :) I am new to this board and already have a question!

I have recently bought two small Shubunkin goldfish to add into a ten gallon tank. The other fish in there is a very ancient feeder fish named Ted, whom is incredibly skittish. The two shubunkins seemed to be doing fine the first day, but then I noticed that they had either begun to copy or simply join Ted in his daily ritual of sitting lifelessly at the bottom of the tank and hiding behind a plant.

Ted does this whenever you move within the general vicinity of the tank, open the hatch to feed him, and turn on the light. This hiding mechanism is no new story and he's actually quite fat and happy. It did alarm me, however that he seemed to be "rubbing off" on the shubunkins.

The nitrates in this tank are stable, PH is good, I've even put the small reccommended dose of aquarium salt in there. I've got a whisper filter, so the current isn't too strong for them and I have a small stream of bubbles in each corner. They seem to like it better when I leave the bubbles on, as I turned them off to see if it was too loud.

It's been several days now and I'm honestly starting to wonder if Ted has aquired a following! Any suggestions on how to help these little guys feel more comfortable?

One problem might be that the tank is now overstocked. Goldies need at least ten gallons a piece, 3 goldies = 30 gallons. I know it sound like a ridiculous amount but goldies create a lot more waste than some other fish and need more room to keep the water decent, plus they like to swim a lot. Thats the only idea I've got. Goldies all have their own personalitys, maybe your new fish are skiddish like Ted although its not really typical of goldies to be skiddish, most get excited when you come near the tank. I'm not sure what you might have going on...

Welcome to Kokos :)

Can you test ammonia and nitrites? 10 gallons isn't even big enough for one single tailed goldfish, and a good rule of thumb is at least 15-20 gallons per single tailed goldfish. Goldfish produce tons of waste, and get huge....with proper care, they will get to be 12-16" long. Stunting will occur if they live long enough in a small tank, but your main concern right now is the ammonia and nitrites. These are very toxic to fish, and it seems like this might be what is causing your fish to be lethargic.

=D That very well could be the issue. Though I should have mentioned that the size of the tank is merely temporary. They'll get stuck with it until around Thanksgiving or so, which is when I'm getting a bigger one due to the gap in classes here at college. ^^ Today seems to be a progressive day for them.. and they do come out when I wiggle my fingers by the glass or make quiet, high pitched noises.

I also forgot to add (XD) Last I checked, the nitrates and amonia looked okay, but perhaps you're right and I should look at it some more.

You know none of my fancies are skittish, but ALL of my single tails are. Every time I go by there tank they freak out and ususally just try to swim away really fast. A lot of the time they run into fake plants or dive head first into the gravel in their frantic attempt to get away.

I have a shubunkin, an orange comet, 2 sarasa comets, and a white common in there and they all act the same. Maybe it is something with single tail fish???

That's funny... my shubbie is extremely friendly, pretty much since the day I got her, she lets me feed her with my hand and swims around and nips my arm while I'm cleaning her tank :rolleyes: My hubby calls her a little doggie.

I think all fish have their different personalities, my new oranda is a little scaredy cat, swims away when she sees me :huh:

Ohhh your a college student...what college do you go to? Whats your major?

I'm a pre-vet major at Michigan State University...I think I make it obvious I go to MSU though...just look at my siggie :D

Leigh,

I had one oranda in a 10 gallon and (gulp) two small feeder fish that the kids had won at the carnival in a bowl. Once I got the 10 cycled I added the two feeder fish into the tank. My oranda was always swimming around when it was by itself. It didn't care if the light was on off or whatever. As soon as I added the two new fish I noticed my oranda started exibiting the feeder's habits. Like hiding when the light is turned on. On the other side, when the feeders were in the bowl, they would go down to the bottom whenever I put food in the bowl and wait til I left to eat. Now they do the swim back in forth at the front of the tank with the oranda when I walk by.

Fish are such funny characters!!

weird....

Do lots of waterchanges while you are waiting for the big tank!! Your tank will not be used to the huge addition of ammonia and it will need to "sort of" cyle in order to catch up. Its best to keep the ammonia as close to 0 as possible.

^^ thanks so much for all of your hints. The last few goldfish I had all got to be about a foot long before I let them loose into a company sponsored pond. They were single tailed, but they were all pretty social and hyper.

It must just be a personality thing. One of the shubunkins comes out now after a few minutes, the other one is still getting used to me though. Hopefully they will get used to me because the tank is right next to where I sit at my desk! Lol!

I go to Western Washington U =D my maojr is Graphic Design

You know none of my fancies are skittish, but ALL of my single tails are. Every time I go by there tank they freak out and ususally just try to swim away really fast. A lot of the time they run into fake plants or dive head first into the gravel in their frantic attempt to get away.

I have a shubunkin, an orange comet, 2 sarasa comets, and a white common in there and they all act the same. Maybe it is something with single tail fish???

413799[/snapback]

my two were fine, above fine really, not scared at all..

(gia_ekdahl @ Oct 18 2005, 08:27 PM)

I have a shubunkin, an orange comet, 2 sarasa comets, and a white common in there and they all act the same. Maybe it is something with single tail fish

my two were fine, above fine really, not scared at all..

Well, Maybe it was because I moved them to a differnt tank..because now that I think about it, when I had them in with my fancies they were fine. They didnt start getting skittish until I put them by themselves.

I think they pick up the habbits of thier tank mates. When they were with the fancies, they were not scared, and even ate from my hand, but now that they are by themselves, I think they may have picked up Peewee's traits and become scared of everything. :blink:

id say the tank is shocked from having such an addition that the water quality has dropped maybe twice weekly waterchanges?

414175[/snapback]

I'd say a lot more than that. possible daily water changes. Test for ammonia and nitrites every day. When you see either, do a waterchange.

Just sharing my experience, I had some similar questions when my roommates bought orandas. I have a comet as well, and for a while the comet was really scared of me, he is still kind of skiddish, and when we introduced him to the orandas, he was really antisocial while they were social little buggers. Now my comet is still a bit shy, but they all come to the edge of the tank when we walk by and though the orange oranda is sometimes kind of antisocial, they all get along great and are more active. THe red cap and the comet even play together! :lol:

I took a couple of days to reply to this because I just wanted to give myself some time to observe the fish. Wouldn't you know it, old scaredy Ted after maybe a year or more of hiding over EVERYTHING is swimming around in the middle of the tank (which is large and open) and even goes up to the open hatch when I feed the fish!

If anything, I think this is amazing! He didn't even flinch when I vibrated the tank by shutting a drawer too vigorously!

The other two fish are also out and about, dorsals are up, fins are out and one of their favorite passimes seems to be coming up to the front pane of the tank and watching me type.

This all just suddenly occurred in under a day.. literally!

PS: I guess I also should have mentioned that I've owned several goldfish before.

Not to imply that they've all died! On the contrary, most of them eventually grow out of the tanks that I own and I put them into a company sponsored fish pond where my mom works. :)

Archived