Totally Stumped......

daryl

I have a very nice calico crown pearlscale. Male. He is about 6 inches long and about 5 inches fat. He has gotten decidedly fatter over the past year. His pearls have been rubbed off because he continually jamms himself into the corners or between the intake tubes or somewhere stupid.

He isolates himself, and sits quietly on the bottom of the tank. The only time he will swim is in response to food.

The fins are not clamped.

The fins (particularly the tail) are very ragged and frayed - getting more so now

He eats well.

He can swim well and responds to food and attention.

His "fat" seems overly soft and plump.

I cannot scrape any slime coat from him. Salt dips yield little.

Microscope examination of the little slime coat I can dig from a salt dip reveals nothing.

Scrapings of the gill area reveals nothing.

Microscopic examination of the filter does not reveal anything out of the ordinary.

Water parameters are zero ammonia, zero nitrite, 20 nitrate (it varies up and down with water changes - average is about 20)

ph - 7.4 temp. 76 degrees F. Twenty gallon tank, Penguin 330 filter. 2 airbars. The water is changed every 6-7 days - 25%. I use a combination of RO and well water treated with a water conditioner built to bind heavy metals. Tank has been running for over a year on this setup. Fish is the only resident of the tank.

The fish has been treated with salt dips (1/2 cup to 1 gallon), Parasite Clear. Prazi Pond. 14 days of MetroMeds. None seemed to change anything. The frayed fins are not white at the edges. They do not show red streaks or anything. They just look like fine ruffley fringey fray....

Do I keep digging for something with the microscope? Do I treat with a Maracyn or MediGold or.......?????? Is there a parasite that reduces slime coat? I thought I had read something like that once, but cannot find it again.

So, any ideas as to what I am dealing with and which way to go? He has a poor life, just sitting on the bottom of an empty tank so he cannot jam himself into anything.

:hmm:wall:why::idont

The look of being fat could be an internal problem...like lipomas or some sort of tumor. I don't know though...I've just been trained to think along those lines.

How are his eyes? Maybe the staying still and jamming into things could be a result of him loosing his vision?

I'm not sure whats might be wrong :idont

Guest Chishower

I think nichjake might have something there. In another thread, someone mentioned that a soft, fat abdomen could be a sign of some internal problem.

I am going to try to find that thread.

Twenty gallon tank. Penguin 330 filter. 2 airbars.

I would hazard a guess that two of the above items are too much for the other item.

You're turning over 16+ tank volume per hour plus the two air bars. He could be stressing from all that current and water movement. Is it possible to tone it down a bit and see how he reacts?

Could explain his resting on the bottom, but probably not the frayed fins unless they too are related to stress.

:unsure: The overly soft & plump worries me.My Oranda that passed,had exactly that same belly.I definately think it's a bad bacterial infection.I just don't know if the organs have been affected.... :( Paul??? CapK????HELP!!!!

It makes perfect sense that with a swollen (err... soft, plump) abdomen, there is some sort of build up of fluid in there. I would think that is what it would be. This sounds very odd and different than the usual 'sick' fish because the fish is eating right, but may have something going on in his belly.

Carol, I hope you can find out what is going on. How awful for this poor fish to live like this. Don't you wish you could wave your wand and make it better? :)

Hi Carol :D

Pearlscales are an enigma as far as fat-ness is concerned. As you know, they are the most rotund of all goldfish, ever. As far as mushy abdomen goes, I would venture to say that it is a normal thing for a pearscale. Especially once they have grown up a bit and have large body mass. But, I am speaking only with the experience I gained from having only one crowned-pearlie before. I haven't poked too many pearlscale bellies... :blink:

I'm not too sure that the currents are the problem either. If he can sit on the bottom, throughout the tankbottom, without being swept around, I think that would classify as not being too swift a current. But, then again, pearlies are the least streamlined of all goldies so maybe there IS something there. Reducing the flowrate by 25% for a few days might produce a more active goldie.

If you don't see him flashing, scratching, coughing or heavy slime coat, I doubt that external parasites are involved. Then there's always the internal nasties like spironucleus, hexamita, nematodes and tapeworms. Maybe a good round of Metro-meds is in order just in case. If not metro-meds, you can use Jungle Labs Medicated parasite feed as it also contains metromeds, along with prazi and a couple other, very good meds (I cannot, for the life of me, remember what the others are).

Maybe what he needs is a good chum to go romp around the tank with. I'm sure it gets pretty boring sitting there in his tank with no stimuli other than food. Could just be bored?

I hope he shows some improvement soon. :):heart

Archived