20 Gallon Long Tank Newbie Questions

Guest thegoodkelly

Guest thegoodkelly

I killed two beautiful 4-6" comets because the pet shop told me that a 2.5-3 gallon tank would be "plenty" for them. By the time I discovered the problem it was too late. Determined to set things right karma-wise, I bought a 20 gal. long tank used.

I intend to stock it with two Ryukins.

The bio-wheel filter is nasty so I'm buying a new one. Penguin box-sized at least 30 gallons.

It doesn't have a hood/lid. Where do I get one and how much can I expect to spend?

What about those "resin" decorations to hide the bubble thingees?

Are resin based items bad for tanks?

The top and botom exterior trim is this awful, scratched, faux wood grain. If I painted it, would the fumes affect the fish?

I understand that I have to change out 10-20% of water weekly. Does this include what I vacuum out cleaning the gravel?

How often does the gravel need to be cleaned?

While I was desperately trying to find out what was wrong with my dying fish I read a lot about adding non-iodized salt. Does this only apply to ailing fish?

Thank you so much for your help. This board is a lifesaver!

It doesn't have a hood/lid. Where do I get one and how much can I expect to spend?

You sould be able to buy a hood wherever tanks are sold. I don't know how much hoods for a tank of your size would cost but the hood for my five gallon cost $15, not including the light bulb. Just a small word of advice, florescent/growth light make the fish look really pretty and its easier to keep live plants with them.

Are resin based items bad for tanks?

Sorry, I don't know to much about resin. If the sell it in the fish section than I think it would be okay.

If I painted it, would the fumes affect the fish?

If you are going to paint it I would cover the tank really well and turn off your filtration/aeration while the fumes are there. Do this before you get the fish if you havent already, you won't have to worry quite as much.

Does this include what I vacuum out cleaning the gravel?

Yes, if you take water out the tank and put new water in that counts as changing the water.

How often does the gravel need to be cleaned?

Everytime you change water you should vacuum it. Only take it out of tank when absolutely neccesary, the gravel hold good bacteria and your tank will go through a mini cycle if you clean it.

While I was desperately trying to find out what was wrong with my dying fish I read a lot about adding non-iodized salt. Does this only apply to ailing fish?

Yes and no. The dose that you read about is probably for sick fish only but you can salt the tank very slightly when they are well. The salt helps keep bad bacteria at bay and is supposed to help gill function and enhance color. The salt does not evaporate with the water so if you are adding water because some evaporated do NOT salt the water that you are putting in. Maybe someone else will give their opinions on salt, I don't know the true effects of it, only what I read on the box.

:welcome

Hello and Welcome to Koko's!!

Since nichjake already answered your questions I'm just going to add my :twocents

I think 10-20% water change may not be quite enough for goldies. I would say more like 25-50% weekly water changes would be more in the ball park. And like nickjake said do your gravel changes weekly right along with your water changes.

I noticed you didn't ask any questions regarding cycling the tank. I hope this means you know about cycling and are fairly comfortable with the process. If, however, it means you've not heard about cycling and don't know what it is please check out the section on Cycling Your Tank found on this website.

Congrats on the upgrade and good luck with the ryukins! Ryukins and fantails are my favorites!!

PS Many a fish has gone through the same fate as your comets because of poor advice given at pet stores. You are doing the right thing by coming to this website to get educated!! :yeah:

Guest thegoodkelly

Thanks for the help!

Yes, I've read up on cycling. Actually, I've read 15 pages in this topic alone, too. I find it all so interesting. This place is a wealth of excellent information and advice. And I need every bit of it. :blink:

While I was pricing supplies at a local store yesterday I saw a whole shelf filled with tiny bowls (not even 1 gallon) being marketed specifically for goldfish. It should be illegal.

Thanks again for all your help. I'm sure I'll be back posting with more questions.

Thanks for the help!

Yes, I've read up on cycling. Actually, I've read 15 pages in this topic alone, too. I find it all so interesting. This place is a wealth of excellent information and advice. And I need every bit of it.  :blink:

While I was pricing supplies at a local store yesterday I saw a whole shelf filled with tiny bowls (not even 1 gallon) being marketed specifically for goldfish. It should be illegal.

Thanks again for all your help. I'm sure I'll be back posting with more questions.

416376[/snapback]

Glad to hear you've read so much on cycling. That's great!

And yes, bowls for goldfish should be outlawed!!

Guest thegoodkelly

I bought my two Ryukin today!

Lou and Abbott are gorgeous and I love them already.

What I liked most, and didn't realize until later, was that the store I bought them from (Animal Jungle in Virginia Beach) put all their goldfish in the saltwater fish section. From right to left the store went: freshwater fish, saltwater fish, goldfish.

Not only did they not sell those horrible kits, but they put the goldfish pretty much where only people who kind of (me) know what they're doing will go.

Meanwhile, I've read so much conflicting things about water changes, I'm just going to rely on my tests to determine how much I should change. The more ammonia, etc. the more and/or more frequent my changes.

After the pet shop owner's advice killed those two beautiful Comets, I totally distrusted pet shops to the point of avoiding resin ornaments until someone knowledgeable ok'd them. I think I've assimilated enough great info from you nice people to start making a decision or two on my own.

I think.

Welcome to Koko's. I am so sorry that you had such a bad experience first time out with the goldies...... :(

I am thrilled that you have found so much useful knowledge here. I think it is the best of all worlds - we have the combined knowledge of every member from every corner of the world, as well as all the experiences of each and every one.

I hope to see you around here - and I wish you great success with Lou and Abbott! Perhaps we will be treated to photos, soon!

:)

Archived