Tetra Fish

Guest JustFroggy

Guest JustFroggy

I just filled my tank up today and I am looking to get some tetras. A friend and I have searching online for some information on them but we seem to come up with very little.

I was wondering like how many I can have in a ten gallon tank but really anything anyone can give me I will greatly appreciate!

Thanks!

Guest JustFroggy

My PH level was in ideal

Hardness level was really high

Nitrate and Nitrite was both good (can't remember the exact numbers now)

I am waiting for the store to get in some ammonia test strips to check that.

If you just filled it, I would cycle it first. I believe tetras were sensitive fish and they may have problems if you add them to an uncycled tank :(

I considered tetras for my 10 gallon as well.. You would need a smaller breed since they need to be in a school (I figured I would get at least 5 of one fish for my school). I was going to consider Glolight Tetras, if I went with tetras.

Somebody else here will more likely be able to help you out more with the tetras though. I've been leaning more towards White Clouds or Harlequin Rasboras :)

Good luck!!

What exactly is your pH and gH? Exact numbers are important. Most small tetras like to have a lower, stable pH and soft water. I have very soft water, but it is very alkaline and I have had no trouble so far. I guess it depends on the breed and where you get them from really. I'd go for the smaller tetras, glowlights, black neons, embers, rummynose, etc. What kind of filter do you have and what is its gph (Gallons filtered Per Hour)? I'd probably go with a school of 6-7, but it depends on your filter. If your water requirements are too off for tetras (I'm not sure about all kinds) then you might want to go for danios or white clouds. They are still the similar shape and size, are also active schoolers, but they do better with colder water, higher pH's and harder water :)

I hope you have fun, Tetras are my favorite tropicals so far!

Guest JustFroggy

My Ph was 7.8

I don't know what GH is

My alkaline level was 120

My filter is a Whisper 10-20 but I don't know what the GPH (how do I figure that out?)

my water temp is about 78 right now

sorry I don't know much about the level stuff but I am just learning....

guess you gotta start somewhere right?

You're totally right :) By they way, Welcome to Kokos! :D My pH is a little higher than yours, and I keep black neon tetras. Most small tetras I've read do better in lower pHs. Your gH is the general water hardness (also the alkalinity). Gah...I forgot the numbers for the hardness tho. Do you have a heater? I've never owned whisper filters, so maybe you can post a thread asking the gph of your model in the equipment section. Lemme see if I can find a good site with tetra requirements..

Guest JustFroggy

My GPH is 90 from what the booklet says that came with the filter.

No I don't have a heater--never know if I needed to get one or not

ahh the GH would then be 120 the hardness for mine was like 300 or 350. It was really hard. So the box for the test strips that I could get a product for that.

Guest JustFroggy

ohh sorry didn't mean to confuse you

the only thing that was not in ideal range was the hardness.

I will check that site out but for now I am off to bed.

Thanks for you help and I am so sorry if I confused though.

Hard water isnt ideal for soft loving tetras but you could try the hardier ones such as glowlights.

Ideally you want to get your tank cycled before adding any fish.

Theres no point in testing for ammonia or nitrites if you dont have anything giving off ammonia.

You can start the cycle by adding some flake food near the intake of the filter and then after 4 days see what you get for ammonia.

!!!

gH is water hardness, kH is the alkalinity (keeps the pH stable). That was the first thing I realized this morning when I woke up. I guess I was pretty tired too! I'm sorry ._.

K so..just to make sure I got this right:

pH: 7.8

gH: 300-350

kH (alkalinity): 120

Do you want to know which tetras will do well with your water or which similar tropical fish?

http://www.fishprofiles.com/profiles/fw/ca...=0&id=Characins

I did a little researching on this page and found a few tetras that might be better in your water, but they get ato be about two inches. The water hardness is measured in dH (it can be measured in dH or gH) and I don't know how to convert the two, so I went by the the bar. You'll understand once you go to the site. Check out yellow, serpae, and lemon tetras. I have never owned any of these, so I'm just going with what I learned at this site and a couple others.

Guest JustFroggy

Okay thanks! I am going to the site now.

Is there any way to get the hardness of the water to go to down?

This is from tap water--should I mix it with half bottle water?

just looking for tips here so I can make my tank enjoyable for whenever I get fishes.

Guest JustFroggy

Yah those are my readings.

I like the tetras but if they won't do good in my tank then I don't want bother.

I didn't know if there was some fish that did better with the hardness

I am learning what kh, gh, and all the "h" are.

sorry if I confused you I really didn't mean to!

Oh I was looking for that site but I couldn't remember what it was called, and I was on my parent's profile (shh don't tell!) so I coudn't look under my favorites. I'm not sure how to bring down the hardness, or if its safe. Have a look around those sites and browse for some fish you like :)

Guest JustFroggy

Okay retested today

ammonia--was safe

my water is soft now but the KH is up to 300 and mthe Ph is 7.8

so any suggestions on how to get those down or do I need to just keep it going?

I have just had the tank up since Monday evening.

Did you add anything to the water? That is strange that your water went soft and your kH went up. The hardness of water is usuall stable o_O The high kH is good, but it was alright before too. I have a kH naturally some where past 300, and all it does is keep my pH EXTREMELY stable, and I couldn't change the pH for the life of me (I know better now that I shouldn't mess with bringing my pH down tho). Yah so...why did all that change?

Guest JustFroggy

I didn't add anything anything to the water

I added some stones to the tank but that wouldn't change anything would it?

I am baffled!

Archived