Thinking Of Getting Betta

d_golem

I'm thinking of getting a betta for my outdoor 55 l tub used also used for keeping hornwort & duckweed. It has just one airstone. Is this ok for bettas or are they more of an indoor fish?

cheers ;)

Your betta will need to be kept in temperatures over 70F/21C which is what they're used to in tropical Thailand where they're from... so they are really an indoor with a heater type of fish for most people who live in North America or the UK. Maybe if you live in Florida or Queensland you could have them outside all summer.

I thought he wouldve been fine as its your summer. It sure beats a tiny 1-2 gallon tank. It would need covered with some netting to stop him from jumping but i could just see him hunting for bugs. :)

Ohhhh, you're from Perth... did you just add that? I'm sure I checked. Perth would be okay for summer. You'd need to bring him in for winter.

The aeration would be good for keeping the water from stagnating and let lots of good biobugs grow but it's not going to affect a betta's breathing. Lots of plants should take care of any amonias one little betta could generate.

55l isn't much temperature control if the sun hits the tub tho. It'll heat up fast.

Archived