What Do You Think Of This Setup?

jen626

• Supporter

OK, I posted a few days ago about my ailing fish who has since passed away :-(

Now that I actually know something about goldfish, I am starting over. My daughter really wants a fish right away, and I don't have a lot to spend.

What do you think of this setup, as a temporary until I can get a bigger tank?

http://www.mmm.com/shop/product.aspx?sku...CMReferringUrl=

I would be putting one red cap oranda or one calico fantail in there until I can get a bigger tank, since I know 10 gallons per fish is best.

That tank has a filter, but do I need to add an aeration system to it as well? I have the air pumop from my old tank and can just get a new tube and a bar for the bubbles, right? Or do I need air at all?

Let me know what you think, thanks! I am totally open to constructive criticism since I am a complete newbie who nothing about goldfish until mine was sick and dying. I figure I could use this one as a hospital/quarantine tank after I get the bigger one. Thanks a million, this site rocks!

~Jen

Jen,

I am also a newbie, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt. I just recently went through something similar to what you have gone throught. I just finished cycling my 10 gallon at the expense of two lovely fish. That tank you are looking at is a really nice set up but you can find a 10 gallon for the same money with filter and hood. I have also seen a 20 gallon at nnnnnn for a little more money that included hood, light & filter. It may seem wierd but the bigger the tank the easier it is to care for. I cannot wait to move out of my 10 gallon as I have to watch my water parameters like a hawk. One hiccup and I could wipe out my fish population.

Welcome to an awsome hobby!!! It's addicting.

I think rather than getting a brand new tank setup just for a temporary home, why don't u use rubbermaid tubs (or sumtin similar)? It's much cheaper that way but of course u gotta buy all the filter and stuff but i'm pretty sure it won't go past the price for that hex tank ;)

Guest PetalFlower

I'm glad to hear you are trying to do it the right way this time. Koko's is the best place for you to learn from; not to mention Koko's members are really the best at lending a helping hand, or a shoulder to cry on.

Regarding your tank, unfortunately, though it may be better than a 1.5gal tank, it's not much better, especially considering the hex shape. It's much better to have a wider shorter tank. You want as much surface area for oxygen exchange as possible with GF.

At the nnnnnn near me, you can get a 10gl glass tank for $9.95, a 100gph filter for $20.00 and a hood with lights for $18.00. So for only a few dollars more, you can get a much better home for your new fishy. I would do a little more looking around. I feel that it's better to get separate components as the "All in One" set ups usually don't give the best equipment (kinda like with stereos and enterainment systems he he).

I'm so excited for you and your daughter, good luck and keep us updated!

P.S. I would definately recommend doing a fishless cycle with your new tank. I'm sure you've read all about it already under "Tank Cycling"!

• Supporter

Thanks everyone! I think I am going to take your advice and start with at least a 10 and probably a 20 gallon tank. I will definitely check out nnnnnn. In general, are the big chain stores cheaper than smaller, local pet stores? I am thinking yes, but would love to know from you guys since I think I am ready to get addicted to this new hobby!

Oh, and do I need aeration in a 10 or 20 gallon tank? What do you recommend?

Thanks again :-)

I think places like nnnnnn are a lot cheaper than your local fish store. Every now and then they have a good sale, that is better than nnnnnn.

I would definitely go with the wlamart set up. I have bought some of their 10, and 20 gallon tanks. I have even gotten some of my filters, and lighting there. So you can get pretty decent stuff there for a lot cheaper that the set up you are looking at. I think you have seen that now. As for the aeration, it is not necessary. If your filter is really turning up the water surface, you don't need one. Remember the more aeration the better. But I believe you fish will be fine for now with just the filter making bubbles. If you do have a air pump with an old stone and tube, just replace those things, and it should be fine. A stone and tubing doesn't cost hardly anything. If you need to save some money, don't buy the rocks, or decorations right now. Those can always wait, The tank, filter, and water, are the most important things right now. Oh yeah and food! Goldfish love there food!!! :rofl

Hi,

Good advice from lots of people. :) I'd just like to add my tuppence.

If you're really sure you'll be in for the long haul, I'd get the biggest tank possible. ie for 2 fish 20g, 3 fish 30g (you may see a fish you really like).

There is a possibility that 2 years down the line, circumstances dictate that for whatever reason, you can't keep fish. In that case, I would stick to 1 fish and a 10g tank.

If you're really set on 2 fish, then I'd get a 20g tank because goldfish can grow a lot in 1 year if you feed them high protein food.

If you want to spread out the cost, I would get equipment in this order:

Tank(20g) + Water conditioner

Filter (200 gph)

4 water test kits (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/pH)

lights

aeration

gravel + ornaments

If your fish are small, then they won't produce that much waste, so a 20g tank would be able to cope without a filter provided you carry out 20% water changes every 1-2 days. I wouldn't try this with a 10g though :)

I would get the filter soon after the tank because as the fish get bigger, water changes alone will not be able to export ammonia quick enough.

You could get by with this bare minimum, but the rest of the equipment helps you maintain water quality and makes your tank look good. You may or may not need aeration and test kits are useful tools to have. :)

Slugger :)

Even better thing to do is be patient and teach your daughter that she cant have everything she wants right away (please dont take this as being rude, i cant think if any other way to put it) so if you need to wait for enough money to do the whole chebang she will have to wait or contribute to the cost.

• Supporter

Oh my gosh, I am so offended! No, I am totally kidding, that is good advice in any case.

My daughter is ok with waiting, I am more worried that if I don't do it soon that I will end up not doing it at all, lol. I am a terrible procrastinator. I have an insurance check coming so I think I will use part of that to start the fish hobby/obsession/addiction. She is more worried about telling her cousin (who is 3 and gacve us the fish when he moved) that his goldfish died. He has been through two deaths prior already, so he'll probably be ok, but my daughter did not want him to be sad.

My daughter actually really wants a dog. She has been through a lot, she had a cancerous brain tumor removed two and half years ago, went through radiation, surgery and chemo, had complications and could not walk, talk or move for a long time and is fighting her way back to where she was before the tumor. But she is slowly recovering, so I really wish I could get her a dog-as a companion and for fun. But we live in an apartment and already have two cats, so it won;t be easy. I told her as soon as we get a house she can deinitely have a dog, but that may be a ways off for someone who can barely afford a small goldfish setup! I thought getting a goldfish or two, and actually knowing how to care for them now would be something fun for us to do together. :-)

Sorry, that was probably way more info than you wanted!

Hi Jen - never too much info! You have a very compelling reason that makes the cirucmstances for you getting a fish somewhat different than ususal. I am glad to hear that your daughter is doing better! :heart What a sad thing to have to experience - I can't imagine how nice it is for you to be able to do regular old mom-daughter stuff together now!

Lots of great advice already! I just wanted to add that I did it the hard way! So, I really would not recommend the kit you listed, as lovely as it is (I have four carcasses like that lying around)! I came to fish keeping by "accident" and went through quite a few tanks before I got to where I am now! From my experience, I would try to put together the right tank and equipment which you can get for the same price and the 5g hex! With a proper lid (since you have cats). By keeping it lightly stocked you can avoid the many additional costs of having sick fish. THis can be a very expensive hobby! But, since you can start out equipped properly, that will help make it a more manageable expense. The bigger, the better!

Hmmm, dog fish, dog fish.... as expensive as fish can be, in the end, I think a dog could become more expensive. I'd go with the fish - more of an activity you can do together! :D She is so young, you would have to house train and walk the dog! Apartments can be very fussy about dogs but I never heard of a pet deposit (or and eviction) for a lil ole fish tank! We have to be their vets so no big bills there. Fish can't get hit by cars. But, you can clean the tank together, and rearrange the decor, and watch the fish play and swim all day long! I'd go with the fish! Maybe that will keep you busy until a little later - maybe you will move and have more room for a dog next year! (we are waiting for a dog, too - but our cat acts like a dog so we are kept cery busy with our puppycat)!

Good luck! Let us know what you decide and then show us some pix - even if it is furry not finny!

PS - you can also check out Craigslist.org, freecycle.org and the local paper/penny saver for lots of inexpensive equipment - I have gottne some really nice stuff like that! I find that many online prices are better than at the store, sometimes even with the shipping! OSme people have been able to get vvvv online prices matched at the store by bringing in the online ad! Lots of ways to get a bigger tank with the right equipment!

• Supporter

Thanks again for the great advice and sentiments about my daughter too!

One of our cats is actually a puppycat as well, so we are kepy plenty busy with her. When my recently departed goldfish was sick the puppycat never took her eyes off of it, it was like she knew something was wrong. I wouldn't have a problem getting a dog and a fish anyway, the fish is going to have to come first though. We can have dogs in our apartment if they are under 30 lbs. and we luckily don't have to paya pet deposit because my fiance works here. "And goldfish can;t get hit by cars..." That made me really laugh out loud, and it's true, thanks!

Today I saw a 20 gallon tank, with hood and light, thermometer, net, food, conditioner and a filter for 79.00...is that reasonable? The filter is an Aqua Clear 100 gph with Bio-max....is that strong enough, and is it an ok brand? I have an air pump already, I just need new tubing and a stone, pick up some water testing kits, gravel and the fish of course, and I'll have everything.

Let me know what you think of the filter and the price, I will keep my eyes open on the classified ad5 too, we have a local paper called the Little Nickel and I know i have seen aquarium stuff for cheap or free in it before. Thanks for that tip!

• Supporter

There is another user on this site who has just posted about giving away (yes, free!) a 20 gallon setup with fish, I may take her up on that, she lives nearby.

Perhaps it's a sign?

• Supporter

I guess she has a 10 gallon available too, so I was thinking of keeping the one really big fish in the 10, and the three smaller ones in the 20? Not ideal, but not too bad, until I can get something larger. What do you think? I meant to ask her how long she'd had them in those tanks.

Guest thegoodkelly

Check out Freecycle.com (maybe .org). They have member groups all over the country. The idea is to keep things out of landfills. People post things they are giving away for free and you can post something you want, too. I got my Dad a "new" computer chair through them. AND they took all my ugly old bridesmaid dresses off my hands. Whether you post an Offer or a Want, the item must be offered totally for free. It's a great idea all around. Someone might have a tank that's just collecting dust...

About whether nnnnnn is cheaper:

In some things. Which is what I found all around. No one place was ridiculously expensive. The place that had gravel cheapest charged the most for filters. The cheap filter place charged a fortune for food. What nnnnnn had was generally reasonable, though not always the cheapest price. But, the problem I found was that they had a very small and sketchy selection of products. If they don't have what I'm looking for, who cares that they have great prices?

They DO have those Rubbermaid tubs priced very nicely, though...

(I'm a cancer patient myself. Kiss your brave little girl on her forehead for me.)

• Supporter

I will check out Freecycle, it sounds great! JP27 and I are going to try and hook up this weekend so I can get the fish, but I have the feeling it may become a major hobby and I may need another tank soon anyway! My daughter and i really like calico fantails, red cap orandas and black moors, so we may get another fancy in a separate tank. But I am psyched for JP's fish too, they are big but very cute! I just hope I can take good care of them for her. I guess she actually got them from someone else, so they have lived a full life. I need to get a top for the tank asap though because we have cats and she doesn;t have one for the 20 gallon. Thanks for all the info!

I will kiss my daughter for you, and kisses for you too, I have a great respect for all cancer patients, I hope everything is going well for you . She is 2 1/2 years out, halfway to the magic 5 years....

Is a hood necessary? Years back, our cats never touched the fish, but I suppose they were outdoors a lot of the time. Plus I did have a hood to stop any fishing. ;)

That didn't stop me from fishing though :devil: (I think I was a similar age to your daughter).

I hope your daughter makes a full recovery.

Slugger :)

• Supporter

I am pretty sure I will need a hood. My cats are bad. And they are totally indoors, they have to be since we live next to a bird sanctuary (blue herons! I think the cat would be worse off if they got in a fight)

I had a goldie in a 1.5 gallon tank with a hood that was given to us, he recently passed on due to my stupid mistakes (too small tank, changing water wrong etc.), but my cats were glued to the tank and one of them actually tried to stick her paw in the tiny slit! So I am thinking we will need a hood, lol. They are not very well behaved cats.

Thanks for the well wishes for my daughter :-)

Archived