Temperature

Maceo

OK here's the deal my goldfish are out in a room that we enclosed that use to be our garage. We have central heat to the room but it isn't insulated so well so it stays pretty nippy out there in the fall and cold cold cold in the winter. I live in Georgia so it's starting to get cold in the mornings it was around 45 this morning (I know not cold to you Northerners but it was kinda nippy to me this morning and no joke people on campus had wool coats on this morning) but this afternoon it was back up to 77 -80 degrees so my problem is do I turn on their heater over night and turn it off when I leave because it warms up in the afternoon or do I even bother with the thermometer? :idont

Good question. I am going thru something similar....at night it's cold, and at day it's quite warm.

Do you have a thermometer in your tank so you know how much your temp fluctuates?

How large is your tank? I believe the larger it is, the smaller the temp fluctuation. But....if it's a larger tank, you may want to invest in a heater to keep the temp stable. I know that up here in Chicago, once the winter hits, it's always pretty cold. Not sure what your winters are like down there....

Our winters are weird. It's like really cold for two weeks and mild another two weeks. I have a 55 gallon and I have a heater I'm just not sure whether I should turn it on yet or not arghh!

Guest JustJayde

Hmn I think if it is cold at night you could use it at a low temp and turn it off just before you leave for the day.... that way you know they are not getting too warm or cold. It's a tough one, I am in the same problem... it is either cold as heck, or really warm in his tank. Seems to be no happy medium. Too bad we can't just put little sweaters on them :ignore:rofl

It will probably be a good idea to turn your heater on if your water temp fluctuates.A few degrees is okay but a drastic change will make your fish stress and an easy target for parasites and such to take over them.Just my opinion though :D

IF you have a quality thermometer and heater you can set it to not fluctuate. So during the night it kicks on and will go off as it warms during the day.

You want to be careful, big temp swings can make a gf sick very quick.

I just got this heater so I'm not sure about the quality I'll turn it on tonight and I'll see how it goes. I live in Northeast GA so it can get pretty cold and I've always used a heater during the winter but it is this crazy fall weather that is driving me nuts! Get cold and stay that way or get warm and stay that way!

Archived