Mirrors And Betas....

nichjake

When my roommate got a beta about a week ago it just sat around and looked bored to death so she moved it to where it could see my fish. The beta didn't even seem to notice Eneus, so she put a mirror behind his tank. It was cool at first and it creeped me out when he'd flair and hed do that a lot which made me start thinking that that would stress him out. Am I right? He doesn't flair all that often now but he sits and stares at that mirror all day, the only time he breaks is to eat, which he does quite well.

Is the mirror causing stress? My gut says yes but I don't know squat about Betas...someone please let me know

when i had a betta, he did get borde, so i used a mirror for about 1 hour a day tops... so he could flare a bit and exercise... but i wouldn't leave it there 24/7 - he could end up doing himself some damage.

I wouldn't leave the mirror up all the time. During Christmas break my mother's betta lived in my room on the back of my bed in a big glass fish bowl and he could see himself in my mirror and I could hear him hitting his head on the side of the bowl. I had to move it because I was afraid he was going to give himself a fishy concussion. Silly Mr. Rainbow may you rest in peace.

Yah, I'm always weary about mirrors. I don't think its good for them to have it up for long periods of time. I always wonder about divided tanks tho..isn't that the same if there isn't enough plants and decorations along the divider?

Archived