Nonono What Happened?

gialeigh

I dont know how it happened......but I think my cat ate my black moor!!!! :cry1

First my crayfish....now my MOOR? Poor Niblet!!!!

My moor is MISSING from my tank! I have no clue how it got out...maybe it jumped and my cat got it....it is no where to be found. I have fake plants and all sorts of stuff to block the cat from getting on top of the tank.......

his paws arent wet...I think the fish jumped out and the cat got him....the cats breath smells suspiciously fishy....and I see some little black flecks around his lips.....

OMG I cant believe it..... Ok Im going to buy that kitty shock collar.

OH NO!!

Im so sorry to hear about your moor. Sounds like he got it. :cry1

I worry about that too sometimes. My 4 cats like looking at the fishies a little too much..

What kind of top do you have on the tank?

The top of it is just a piece of glass......it is a hex tank with a piece of glass that is cut to cover maybe a little more than half...so a lot of water is exposed. I have a light sitting on top that came from a reptile aquarium. It is pretty tall though. I dont think the cats could get up there from the floor. It is next to the bar in our kitchen, so maybe he jumped on the bar....but I have about 4 fake plants up there to block him from getting to the tank....so I really have no clue how it happened. :cry1

oh my goodness I feel soooo bad....

Guest JustJayde

Not to be rude but that cat is doing what it is by nature supposed to do, so why spend the money on a shock collar which is not very nice......

instead, buy a proper hood so neither he or your fish are suffering.

Sorry for your fish loss.

Its not just the fish that the cat gets into. Its nearly everything, and nothing seems to teach him. The water gun does not work. I dont know how else to teach him that certain things are off limits in a way that will make him understand. I will not hit him. Yelling does no good. He is not scared of anything, so loud noises do nothing. He gets on the counters all the time, pulls the tablecloths off the table...breaking vases and whatever else is on the dinningroom table. When he plays he jumps from table to table in the livingroom, knocking off photo frames and breaking them. He gets into the trash can. He scratches the couch even though we have a HUGE carpet cat condo that my husband made for the cats....which they use...but occasionally I guess Milo wants a change and goes for the couch.

I thought I did all I could do to prevent the cat from getting on the tank. but maybe it wasnt enough because I cant afford to buy a new hood. I got the whole tank and everything with it for free by a kind man who did not want to see me loose my fish due to overcrowding.

A shock collar may not be "nice", but it may be the discipline this cat needs to get it through his head when nothing else has worked so far. He has been repremanded over and over and over again about the same stuff and does not get it. Our other cat learned very quickly...this little guy is just hard headed.

I do have a proper hood for my crayfish tank by the way....by that does not stop my cat from opening the lid and going fishing. I had to duct tape it shut.

Now you tell me what you would do with a cat like that.

Im going to get the collar.

Guest JustJayde

As I said , it was not meant to be rude... no need to take offense.

If it were me I would find another way to deal with it, however it is not me and you feel you have exhausted your options so do what you feel is right for you. I can't give you answers as to what I would do because it is not me, my cat, my house etc. and what I think is right or wrong is not going to necessarily be the same as what you believe.

I won't post again however, because I seem to have gotten you all upset.

I hope you find something that works for you.

Double sided sticky tape on the couch for a while, a sisal rope wrapped around the cat tree to give it a different texture - an attractive one. Reversed carpet to the jute side out is also a good choice. Get some museum wax - a sticky wax that does not harm any surface and stick your frames and valuable down. It is invisiable and works very well for cats or earthquakes. Valuable art is unharmed. Restrict him from the living room for the time being, if possible. My things that are just too valuable to risk are either stuck down (not just for cats) or are in a room where the cats are not allowed to go.

It sounds like he is young. Remember, kittens are quite different from cats. A cat will slow down and sleep 85-90% of the day. The kitten will find things to mess with.

How about putting a mesh screen over the opening in the tank top? It is easy to cut to fit and to make openings for the various tank necessities, but can be fastened down to keep a cat out and a fish in. Taping the crawdad's tank lid down is wise. I tape lids to keep people out during parties and to keep fish in all the time.

Do not leave attractive leftovers in the garbage - take the trash out immediately when you put food stuffs in there. Do not leave dirty dishes on the counter or anything else that may be attractive. Double sided sticky tape along the edges of the counters will also work well to teach him that the counters are not a very nice place to be.

I wish you luck with the shock collar if that is the way you choose to go - but I have never known one to work. It is difficult to set it up to shock at the proper time. If done manually, it means you have to be there. All that teaches Milo is not to do these things when you are around.

If the cat is balancing on a table and gets a shock, he will madly jump and run, digging his claws in more and the mad dash may break and damage even more than what would have been bothered without the shock.

The cat will soon learn to take the collar off, and my bet is that he can hide it so you will never find it again. Any collar that cannot be removed is too tight and unforgiving and is a danger to the cat - Milo might hang himself if the collar gets caught as he jumps. This is an all together too common tragedy.

Milo sounds like a handful, but he is simply being the cat he was programed to be - he sounds like a happy, curious fellow - full of fun and imagination. A little direction from you to aim that imagination to less destructive pursuits should give you a loving feline companion.

:) >^..^<

*sigh* I only call him the devil cat when Im mad at him. Truth is, he is a very sweet and loving cat...he just is hard headed when it comes to leaving things alone that are off limits. If you have suggestions as to what I may try, then by all means you may post them. I really dont know what else to do. I have to say that after this though, I do not want any more cats. They are just too much hassel. A lot more difficult than any dog Ive ever had.

I appologize, JustJayde, I was worked up at the moment (obviously), and I just kind of went off. I did not take offense to what you said, please know that.

We recently discoved that he also has a spraying problem. We steam clean the carpets once a week and maybe that is why we never noticed, but the company we are renting from came in here with a blacklight and said she saw "spots"...so I dunno...I am just not looking forward to a $800 fee to change the carpet...in addition to all the other things he has destoyed, and got into. I guess Im just kind of fed up.

Thank you for all your advice Daryl, I greatly appreciate it. The mesh screen is a good idea...I wonder why I never thought of it????

I didn't think they MADE shock collars for cats? I agree with Carol on this one though... with the way cats think and reason, he'll soon figure out that when you're gone he can get into his mischief without the shock. Shocking him when you get home and see the mess he's made will not only confuse him, but will probably turn him into a confused and possibly reclusive cat.

Good luck. Kittens are soooo naughty when they're young (all of mine were JUST like yours) but turn into well mannered adults with the proper training.

You know, he does that a lot too. When I am awake, and I catch him on the kitchen counter or something, Ill usually just go in there and he runs away, but at night I hear him getting into all SORTS of things! I know he gets into stuff when Im not there so I know what you are talking about.......

Yeah I dont think they have those collars for cats...but they do make them for small dogs....and you can turn down the intensity...so that it isnt enough to cause them pain, just to scare them.

I would NEVER want to hurt him. He is my baby. I do love him, please dont get me wrong...but enough is enough.

Yes he is a kitten...almost full grown. He looks about the size of my adult cat, just not bulky yet.

Is Milo neutered? How about your other cat? Does he see other cats outside that could cause him to spray?

Have you tried Feliway spray? It works well in some cases.

There are also some medications that are very cheap, and can be given for a limited time that can calm a male down and make him less prone to spraying. It can break him of the habit.

I am sorry your cats are not what you expected - they are definately a totally different critter than a dog. You cannot control a cat - you can only influence a cat and guide a cat.

I hope it gets better for you and Milo soon. I know the frustration of ruined carpets and furniture. It makes you want to scream at times......

I am so sorry about your fish. :cry1

:hug

Guest JustJayde

It's ok... I know sometimes it can be really hard to not get upset on message boards. Glad you are not upset with me.

I had a kitten some years ago that was a lot like your "devil cat" and NOTHING worked on him either. I learned to just "kitty proof" the home the same way I would for children lol

Breakables put inside a cabinet with bars of some type ( I had an old china hutch, I took the glass off and replaced it with iron scrolling)

I had to change my rules ever so slightly for him which sucked because my other 2 cats were perfect angels.

The mesh under the hood is a good idea!

There are also products you can get that you spray on surfaces you don't want kitty near... the smell of them repulse the kitties. I would have to look it up, it's been a few yrs but it was successful with many cats to keep them off tables etc.

there are some great suggestions up above too!

You can also rub catnip on things she allowed near / on etc and that will attract her there more.

Either way I hope you can come to a safe and happy fix for everyone :D pet's can be tricky...... just like kids they have minds of their own. I guess in a pinch you could adopt your kitty to a good home. :(

hehhe daryl beat me to the spray issue...... male cat's spray if not fixed but there are workarounds if the cat is young enough :)

With my cats, I guess mine are more docile than yours. They are very careful when they are on the table (I don't fight with them to stay off because they will just do it when I am not in the room, I just make sure tables are always wipes off) and they never knock anything down, they are only 4 yrs old. They are sister cats from same litter. I have any pictures and valuables up on the tv tank, they do not get on top of there. My cats are not very interrested in the fish in the tanks unless they notice a new fish I just got. Good luck with your cat. I know about the couch, mine is wrecked because they will not use the scratching post, grrrrrrrrr. I hope when I get new ones they will not touch them. The two sided tape sounds like a good idea.

I was gonna ask about neutering but Daryl got there first :P If he isn't, the quick operation will most likely solve at least the spraying problem. How old is he? I've never experienced a cat like Milo, but the youngest cat I've had was 2. Even they have calmed down a lot and learned that tables and counters are offlimits, as well as using the couch as a scratch post. You can try buying this "bitter spray" for the couch, and try catnip on scratching posts if you haven't already. My cats have never been interested in fish, but love my mice, so they are out of kitties reach. I hope Milo learns :\ A proper hood might be best, Milo could have easilly sat on top and fished your moor out. Have you ever seen those pigeon spikes? People set them on top of houses and crevices to keep them from nesting there. I think they are horrible, I've seen countless birds hanging all mangled from them. I'm not suggesting them, but maybe you could pile some harmless stuff on top of the tank, and show your kittie that its there, so he'll think twice about jumping up.

Guest PetalFlower

Have you considere crate training your cat for when you are not home? I know most of you have probably heard of crate training a dog, but you can also do this with your cat.

I worked as a vet technician for some time and we had "Blood Donor" cats that lived at the vets office in cages. They were perfectly happy and considered the cage their little house. They would be brought out into the back office during the day to get exercise and get lots of love, and when we took them back to the kennels, they would just jump right in their cage and wait for their dinner. :D

Of course it helps to make their "Kitty Quarters" as comfortable as possible with a blanket sratching item, and of course food and water.

What do you think of that?

Your poor fish! My cat ate two moors that I was supposed to keep for a friend of mine. We came back from going somewhere and he had knocked their too small tank on the floor and eaten them.

Another thing, he also acted up a good bit when I first got him as a full grown kitten, but now he spends most his days sleeping, just like Daryl said. Cats are frustrating, I think it's just inbred in them, but don't give up on him yet. Hopefully his natural laziness will take over with time.

Gia I am with Daryl on this one. I have never known a shock collar to work, let alone on a cat. And no matter how the experts say it, it is "pain" the animals feels, not a shock or a scare.........plain and simple Pain.

However I do have another suggestion that the others have not said yet and that is "Invisable Fence" they make a portable box that you can move around your house making a "invisiable fence" around an area you don't want the cat to go to.

The cat does where a collar, but unlike a shock collar this exhibits a sound before going off which the trainer teaches the cat to listen for, that way when the cat hears the sound they know to stay away.

This might be another option for you.

Good luck, I am sorry to hear that your fish "could've" been lost to a frisky kitty.

Guest WoodenCoyote

Sorry to hear about your fishie, hon.

If your cat acts up, give him a tap on the nose with your index and middle fingers while saying "No" in a firm voice. That's what I do with my four.

The shock collars don't work as far as I've seen. Both my aunty and my nan have collars for their cats, but the animals frequently go over the line. Aunty's showcats, some worth over $600 a head, are always down at my house fighting with my cats because they keep getting past the fence and running loose.

There are also products you can get that you spray on surfaces you don't want kitty near... the smell of them repulse the kitties. I would have to look it up, it's been a few yrs but it was successful with many cats to keep them off tables etc.

Yes that stuff smells so bad! It repels humans too! lol. its makes the furniture stink and you have to re-apply it every day for it to be effective....but it really stinks. I wont go in the same room with that stuff either. lol. :rofl

Yes Daryle, this kitty is nuetered. He was probably 6 weeks old when we got him and he was already neutered by the animal shelter in Barstow. We just recently found out about the spraying so we will have to look more into that. We will take him to the vet after we move to TX in about 3 weeks. There is another male cat that the neighbors allow to roam around, but I dont think Milo pays much attention to him. I dont notice Milo sitting and looking out the window like my other cat, Mama. He does however walk around the house sometimes and do this weird meow. My husand says that is exactly the meow his moms cat does when it sprays. So we will go to the vet for sure.

Have you ever seen those pigeon spikes? People set them on top of houses and crevices to keep them from nesting there.

Yes and I do have LOTS of stuff up already to try to keep him from getting up there, but I guess it did not work.

Oh and as far as the screen...I just thought back on that one....we had a lizard cage with a screen top. Milo broke through it and ate the lizards. So Maybe I can get hubby to build me a wooden hood. My goodness, so he ate two lizards, attacked my crayfish (its not missing a leg), and ate my goldfish. *sigh* Now the crayfish tank has duct tape on it so that he cannot get into it again.

Have you considere crate training your cat for when you are not home? I know most of you have probably heard of crate training a dog, but you can also do this with your cat.

We tried puting him in a crate when he did something bad. We would leave him in there for a few minutes and he would come out a perfect angel.....However, the last time we did it, and I dont know what was different, but he must have been spooked by something. Im going to try to say this without being gross....but I went to go get him out and he was covered...absolutly drenched in his own waste. I will never put him in there again. I had to bring it in the shower and hose him off while still inside because I was afraid he'd bite me (which he has before), which was not fun for me or him.

So.... I still dont know what to do, because when Im not around he is going to do it anyway. I guess there is no way to teach them. My guess is that he is about 6.5 months old. Im pretty sure he'll calm down when he gets older, just like our other cat did. All she does is sleep now, lol.

Maybe you should try to get him to view the crate as a happy place. Leave it open for him to come and go as he pleases, and but a towel or something nice in there, maybe a cat nip toy or a few treats. With dog crate training, you can't use it as a time out or else they will refuse to go in. How big is the crate? It should be spacious enough to be happy in. Try some positive reinforcement with it, maybe you'll have some better luck.

Archived