And So It Begins

Guest elise

Hi everyone, I've been reading these forums for a long time and I've posted a couple times a long time ago, buuuut basically I'm new. I've never owned any goldfish before... well, my family has had them before I was old enough to know how to properly care for them. And my parents -still- think that goldfish only grow to the size of the bowl/tank they're in despite me telling them over and over that it's not true... rawr. <_< Anyhoo, I have two gorgeous bettas right now, Hawaii and Tie. I love fishies, especially bettas, goldies, and oscars, although I live with my parents still and they refuse to let me get a tank big enough for oscars... so that will have to wait until I move out.

Buuut, we finally are moving into our new house and I did talk my parents into letting me get a 55-gallon tank... so I'll be getting goldies, YAY!! :D And even though I've been reading up on them for at least a year, I still have a lot of questions and I'd really appreciate it if anyone had answers. :)

1. Like I said, I'll be getting a 55-gallon tank. How many bushynose/bristlenose plecos would it take to keep it clean?

2. If I put a small school (like 6) of danios or white clouds in there too, would goldies pick on/eat them? I'd imagine they're be okay because they can move so fast. But if not, what about giant danios?

3. Can telescopes and "normal-eyed" goldfish go in the same tank? I really love black moors but I don't just want telescope goldfish, either... so if the telescopes would get pushed around, I won't get any.

4. I think I want to get live plants. Any thoughts on that?

5. What would be the best filtration to use? I'm thinking of a Magnum 350 canister or a Penguin power filter (with a bio-wheel). I've heard really good things about Magnums but they are expensive, so I was wondering if it was really worth it? Also, if I did just use power filtration, would I be better off with one Penguin 350 (up to 75 gallons, 350 GPH) or two Penguin 150s (up to 30 gallons, 150 GPH each)? Or something else?

6. I'm probably going to do the fishless cycle on the aquarium. Should I wait until the cycle is done before I put in live plants?

7. What about "Cycle" or other bacteria stuff that you can put in instead of cycling the tank? Does it really work? Doy ou keep having to add it or is it a one-time thing?

And lastly...

8. What do you all keep your temperature at? I mean, I know the range, but what do you think is the best? Keeping in mind I'll probably have live plants and pleco(s) in there as well...

Sorry if these sound like stupid questions; I'm sure I'll have tons more of them, lol. But I really would appreciate anything you guys have to say. :)

Guest squeeker

Hi, Elise! Welcome, and congrats on your new tank!

Here's my answers for your questions:

1) I'd only get 1 BN pleco. I have 2 in my 77, and they keep it pretty spotless.

2) People have different opinions on this, but I'd say no to the danios or minnows. That odd chance when the minnow swims just a LITTLE too close, and BAM! Lunch.

3) Telescopes can certainly go in with "normal" fancies. Just make sure they get their share of the food! Check out the "food" forum for other people's experiences.

4) I love live plants. Try to stick to Anubias, Java fern, Java moss, and Amazon sword if you don't want your goldies to eat the plants.

5) For filtration, personally, I prefer Aquaclear filters over Penguin and the like. This is because I find that the AC's hold more media, are more customizeable, and are easier to clean. I would get an aquaclear 110. Alternately, you could get a cannister filter, such as a fluval or Eheim. However, you'd still need to supplement the cannister with another filter, as they just don't push the volume of water you need. (For a 55 gallon tank, you need 550 GPH of filtration).

6) You can put the plants in at any time, before, during, or after the cycle.

7) Cycle, IMO, is garbage. I've heard that others really like Bio-Spira. I've never used it.

8) My temperature is whatever my room temperature is at. Never below 70F. In the summer, it gets HOT because I have no air conditioning. The tank's been 86+ in the past. Just make sure you have lots of aeration, and it'll be fine.

Hope that helps! Good luck!

Ive used cycle, and it works well... though I have never used bio-spira, i have seen results, and would recomend it.

i wouldnt trust minnows with goldies... also, they take up valuble water space, so that means less goldies!

I also wouldnt get a pleco, dont need it, spend the money on an algea scub pad. :)

I have seen telescopes with other fancies... my moore is blind, and got his tail whooped by my ranchus... so He's alone right now... just have to try and see... and have a spare ten ready :)

almost forgot filters!~

I would wait and do it right, and get a big ol' cannister filter. something like a fluvel 404 or a magnum 350, and also do an over the back filter, like an aquaclear 50. more filtration is better, and you want about 100 gallon per hour of filtration per 10 gallons of water. (and I adore my fluvel 404 on my turtles tank... Im gunna get another for my 40 goldfish tank :) )

as for plants, you need to have a load of light to really do anything.. 2-4 watts per gallon usually... but if you can do it, melon swords have been holding up well against my aquatic cows!

Well it looks like squeeker and magickzzl have answered your questions rather completely and since I'm kinda new here myself I don't know that I could really add anything worthwhile to what they have already said.

But I would like to say :welcome and warn you that goldies are ADDICTIVE!!! You're off to a great start already since you found Koko's before getting the fish. Good luck and have fun!

Hey elise :welcome

here's my answer to ur questions

1. 1 or 2 bristles. 2 is my preference as long as you have driftwood and feed them lightly cooked veggies when there's no more algae to eat :D the goldies will like the veggies also.

2. Not sure bout danios & minnows, but have heard ppl successful in keeping them 2gether with the goldies.

3. They sure can get along 2gether. I found my telescope to be the most efficient "bottom feeder" :lol:

4. yup Java Moss & Java Fern is my choice.

5. Not sure bout filters :rolleyes:

6. I think the plants will help soak up the ammonia & nitrate so it's ok to put them in during cycle.

7. I used Stress Zyme and it works well.

8. I got mine at 19-21 celcius, but to be honest I'd like a little more fluctuation :lol: dun want my fish to be a bunch of pampered mama's boys

Everyone else has probably anwered you better than I ever could (I don't have much experience myself), but I did want to add that I put two medium sized ranchus in with the 5 danios that cycled their tank, and now I have NO danios. They've mysteriously disappeared. :rolleyes:

Just a fair warning.

I have 5 WCs in my 10-gallon with my Veiltail. They are fine and have been for a few months. Lots of hiding places and WAY too fast for my GF. I really love them :heart , they add so much life to the tank.

They even tease my goldie into chasing them around the tank! Very fun to watch. :D

Hi Elise, welcome to KGW! as for your questions, you've got plenty of answers that are all good, some opinions differ, but you'll find your own opinions after experience... :)

My personal opinion, I don't go with mixing goldies with any other type of fish, I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to goldies, a) smaller fish get eaten by bigger fish, some people have danios/white-clouds/medakas in with goldies fine, but if you're gonna have a 55 gal tank your goldies are going to grow, and when they're big enough, smaller fish end up as tasty snacks. B) bristlenoses, these guys do best with driftwood to chew on, the problem with driftwood, with spikey edges hanging out all over the place these become a danger for goldies, especially ones with sight deficiencies, with their mutated body shapes they can bump into/hurt themselves. Also, driftwood tends to acidify water (ie affects the pH).

I'm with magickkzl with filtration, the more the better, I love cannisters! they're large capacity, relatively quiet compared to other types and can be hidden in cupboards under the tank. but having more than one filter is also a really good idea. Again, start with a big one and when you save up enough money buy another! then Another! then ANOTHER!!!! -sorry I'm a filtration freak, every time I want to treat my fish to something special I get another filter...

Err yeah, also, this is a VERY addictive hobby!! ;)

as for plants, you need to have a load of light to really do anything.. 2-4 watts per gallon usually... but if you can do it, melon swords have been holding up well against my aquatic cows!

413200[/snapback]

2-4 watts per gallon! :o How come the biggest bulbs I can find are only 40 watts? :hmm

Archived