Feeding In Winter

sandy

Im sure its been asked but cant find it. What temp do you stop feeding goldfish at when outside? My hubbys brother phoned saying they had a 40 ish gallon barrel with two small goldies and wanted to know when to stop feeding. Ive suggested bringing them in as they might be too small for a first winter, but he wants temp.

Guest goldygirl

this is probably not theanswer you're looking for......but, most hardy goldfish can last at temperatures which are nearly freezing! you might have known that though. if it gets cold in the winter up in scotland i sugest you make sure they dont stay in any temperature lower than about 5-10c but as i said this is probably irrelevant.

from everything i have read below 10C feed wheatgerm and/or brown bread (but only lightly) below 4C nothing... as they are in a barrel i would be inclined to bring them in when temp get to low, as if the water get frozen they could be in danger - hope it helps :)

Do not feed after the temps drop below 55 degrees. In the spring you can start feeding of course when temps get 55 degrees. Below this temp the digestive system stops working and the food will rot in their stomachs. In the fall and early spring always feed a weat germ food, it is easier to digest adds fat to them for the winter and gets their stomachs started in the spring! You can feed Cheerios.

How cold does it get where the brother lives? Hopefully not too cold because a 40 gallon barrel would freeze solid where I'm at. Goldfish can withstand cold temps, as long as the water is still liquid ;)

You're not supposed to feed the fish once the pond temp is below 50. At that temp their bodily functions (including digestion) start to slow or shut down. If you feed them below 50 the food will end up just fermenting in their stomach and they can die.

You can feed them below 10C/50F as long as it wheatgearm/cereal (low protien) foods and not to much of it... Tetra, NT labs & Nishikoi do suitable foods, below 4C/40F you should not feed.

High-protein foods linger in the gut, fish need protein for growth, repair and reproduction. In the summer feed a higher protein diet.

Stop feeding at 50*F. Its not advised to feed dureing winter at all with fish outside. When the water hits 50* in spring, then every two or three day's to start, the cheerios are good, and soak them in Orange Juice. As the warms up progressing back to protein foods. They are at risk dureing the transitions as there immune systems are low.

Fish that are indoors in a garage or basement where the temps don't get below 50* may be fed winter food.

Another thing I?d like to add... Garlic is also good to feed as it is a good way to rid parasites. And, although I have not tried it, Silkworm pupae food is good as it is very high in protein.

Well if its any consolation I told him what Loz said.

Will see if I can get him to over winter in the garage but thanks everyone for the input though.

:rofl Your right Loz, ultimatly its the owners decision. :D I'm a moderator @ koivet though and thats the norm recomendation. To the best of my knowledge though, when the temps go down, the fish won't be bothered to eat anyway, though the occaisional shrimp offering I hear never goes un-noticed regardless of the weather.

temps are up and down here at the moment still some days 10C some 14C all over the show, so i am still feeding, half what i normally feed and it is wheatgerm & wheargerm & garlic pellets, once a week small bit brown bread.

thay still ask for food and eat it up, so reckon it's opkay for a while yet... :)

Archived