Help!

Guest goldygirl

Guest goldygirl

My Oranda has recently got ich, my other 2 fish however have not, (bubbles) my oranda keeps floating to the top of the tank and looking as if its dead!

it's looking ill, its eating alright. it has red veins that have appeared on its fins and its scales look like theyre being burnt away, (possibly ammonia burn).

i checked my water for nitrates, and theyre at the right level, as is the PH, nitrates and ammonia.

what could be wrong? i have a feeling that it might die!

what do i do?

What size tank and which filter? How long has it been going and have you got any readings for ammonia and nitrite? how often do you do water changes.

Seems its really serious so i suggest at least doing a 75% water change just to try and get your readings under control, then test again. Do you dechlorinate?

Guest goldygirl

ok,

my tank is 20 gallons,

my filter is biological,

i use dechlorinator and stress zyme,

i clean them out every 2 weeks,

i remove 25% of water,

my PH is 8

my nitrates are 10

my amonia is 0.4,

temperature is 70c

and the nitrites are 0.1

will he die!?!?!?

the floating is prolly a swimbladder issue... with the red veins, perhaps he has a bacterial infection? I would recomend a water change, but i wouldnt do 75%... maybe another 25% though

Guest goldygirl

so you dont think hes really sick? how often do you recomend me doing a water change? do you kno how he could have got ich?

my water conditions aren't that bad are they, what do you think?

ich is a parasite.. like little sugar crystals stuck to the fish.. and this parasite is an opertunist.. usually apearing after stress... it maybe that their growing out of their 20 gallon, and the stres of three in it brought out the ich? (tequnicly you want 10 gallons per goldies :) )

Guest goldygirl

thanks, but i just got him!

hes only about 2 1/2 inches. they others are about 1 3/4

i'll look into it, i'll see if he gets worse.

Guest shannonc

Isn't that kinda high ammonia? I'd definatley be doing at least 30% water change or maybe 20 % each day for a few days and see how he does. That's my 2 cents.

Guest goldygirl

i've had develpements!

my fish has now got a ragged tail, ick and red veins in its tail.

i tested last night and i have no nitrates and my ammonia is 0.1

but he looks worse. it says on this website that hes got toxic exposure....will he die?

Goldygirl, with ammonia and nitrites that high NOTHING will help the fish until you get them under control.

Your fish is very very sick and in need of good water to swim in. I only stress this because others are concentrating on treating the ich and not the water. UNTIL the water is good, the ich will remain.

I wouldn't recommend a medication to help this problem. Ich can be cured with good water and salt. I can explain the salt later, right now you need to be doing large water changes and testing an hour after them until that ammonia and nitrites are down.

Post back soon and we can help with the other issues.

Archived