I Need Advice About My Betta

Lynnie59

:( We have a 10 gallon tank with a plastic divider, so we are able to house 2 beautiful Bettas. They have a heater too, have been healthy, fine, happy.

They have been our pets for a little over 2 years now. They are fed Hikari Blood Worms, since they didn't like the Betta pellets, flakes very much.

One Betta is acting funny: he's laying on his side, not eating, when we get near him, he swims quickly away and seems weak and lethargic.. We do not see any spots, signs of bacteria, illness.. He is dark blue so it is hard to see things I 'm sure?

The other Betta is fine, so we are a bit confused? They were bought at different pet stores, and we do not know their ages.

We do weekly water changes of 25-30%, the water is clear, we syphon well.

We did have plants that died, turned brown, but we syphoned them out and removed them often.. This has happened before, so don't think the dead plant material is the problem? We use Aqua Nova or A. Nova Plus water conditioner with water changes.

We use a hanging filter, and undergravel too. we just bought a brand new filter, Aqua-Clear too, since the original stopped working.

Test results taken today:

Nitrates 20, Nitrites .5, PH 7.6, Ammonia, now I have two test kits, both made by Aquar Pharmaceuticals, one has one bottle of drops you add to the testube, that Ammonia reading is ZERO, the other test kit has 2 bottles, each has 8 drops added to the testtube, now that reading is 2.0 (the first time I used this two bottle test the ammonia reading was 4-5.0!) so I am not sure which ammonia reading to believe here! why would the 2 bottle tester come out with 2 different levels? there are no expiration dates on either kit, so I'm assuming they are still accurate?

Also, is Stress Coat used with Bettas? should I add some to try and help him?

We have fancy goldfish and use SCoat, so we don't have as much knowledge about Bettas... Please help asap! He doesn't look good. :crp :cry1

thank you,

Lynn

I would start with a bit of a water change just to be sure the ammonia is down, it'll also help get the nitrites down. Have you checked the ammonia content of your tap water, if not that might be a good idea, just to see what the wateris like going into your tank. Beyond that I'm not sure what to tell you, I don't know much about betas.

With the new filter it is probably cycling and bettas dont do well with high ammonia or nitrites. Just do small water changes each day to keep the levels below 1. I dont know about the test kits im afraid but just assume the one that got ammonia to be right.

That's how my betta was acting. He had jumped out of his cup during a waterchange but was fine after he got over the shock. He was still very stressed tho, and when the ammonia registered at .1 ppm he started doing that. If you can get the ammonia down quickly he'll probably be okay. Good luck!! :)

Also, if you have had them for two years, they are getting older since they would have been at least 6 months old when you bought them. I find that my older bettas don't stand up as well to stress, and the ammonia could have triggered this setback in his health.

You are doing everything right and have taken excellent care of them. Perhaps the new filter is changing the water parameters a little too much for this fish so add in extra smaller water changes until it settles. You can use Stress Coat on bettas.

Also keep the temperature high and add a small bit of driftwood too, you'll find it drops the pH a bit which will help them and you won't have to fiddle with those horrible acids that lower pH (if you find a bit in a stream you can bake it in the oven to kill off bugs or if you buy a bit at the lfs you will have to soak it, scrub it, and maybe bake it too, don't panic if the water turns brown, they like all the tannins - there's also a product called Ketapang extract or Indian Almond leaves which are full of good healing extracts and tannin and will lower the pH very slightly).

Archived