Help With My 30 Gallon Tank Please

Guest bub

Hi all , I purchased my new Tank about 2 weeks ago, I have a Fluval 3 filter and I let the tank run with no fish for a week but with aquarium plants.

I took a water sample to the shop and they did a test and said it was fine to put fish in. I bought 4 goldies and amonia test kit and Nitrite test kit. After about a week the amonia started to rise so i did a daily 20% water change. After a few days the Nitrite levels are reading 2.0 so I am carrying on doing 25% daily water changes. The fish seem ok but if the levels of Nitrite get any higher i will do a 50% daily water change. I have cleaned the filters in fish water and vacumed the gravel and disposed of the black filter as I was told this would only work for a week. I havent bought a Nitrate test kit yet but I will get one. I feed the fish once a day only as I feel less is better for now while cycling.

Am I doing everything correct? Also I know this might be a silly qusetion but once the my new tank has cycled will it cycle ever again. ie. will I get high amonia levels then nitrite then nitrate, or is cycling a one off.

Thanks for help

bub

How many gallons is the tank? For four fancy goldfish (did you get fancy?) you will need a 40 gallon tank minimum. The fluval 3 just wont be strong enough for filtration if thats the case, as you will need 10 times capacity.

Letting the tank sit for a week before adding fish does nothing really. You are doing everything right for the fish in regards to water changes but dont rinse the sponge out until the cycle has finished or its really dirty. Keep nitrites and ammonia under 1.

If your tank ever cycles again it should be a mini cycle because you add another new filter, nothing else. If it does happen then theres something wrong.

Hi there bub (such a cute name :D ) and :welcome

Well, your extremely diligent which augers well for your fish friends ... the only thing i would dispense with is the gravel vac'ing and changing of filter carbon. Its work is really only beginning and when cycling, it harbours good bacteria that any new tank needs to cling onto for dear life - especially as it is needed to convert ammonia into nitrites then nitrates etc.

So for now, keep the filter media going for 4 or so weeks and if you have a sponge filter (which I think you do) then this you can rinse in tank water every 10 days or so, just until your cycle is fully established. No need to clean the gravel at this point as nitrates won't be present until the ammonia and nitrite phases have passed.

Once you start showing nitrates, you know your tank is cycling to plan so for now, just rinse the sponge media and continue with waterchanges to dilute any toxic levels of ammonia and nitrites...

Hope this helps :)

The filter came with the Tanks as part of a kit so i thought that will be sufficient for my puposes. Im not good with names of the fish but will try and post a picture later if I can, I have a small black goldy with the eyes that stick out, a white one with gold patches, a silver one and a very small gold goldfish. It seems I wont listen to the store anymore because up to now I have been mis-informed by them, all they seem to do is take your money and give bad advice. For eg why when I bought in a sample in they did a Nitrite test. Thet were testing for Nitrites and getting a reading with no fish in my tank. I bought a Nitrite kit myself and tried it out at home and was getting a zero reading which is what I understand it should be with no fish. Like Sandy said it was a waste of time cycling with no fish, I wish they could have helped me a bit more like selling me some amonia or something to get the cylce started without the need for fish. Anyway I have the fish now so its too late.

What will the effects be if I stick to this filter? oh yes Jen I have the spongey filter in the middle of the 2 outer ones

Also is it safe to do a daily 50% water change so i can bring the nitrites down?

Thanks for replies

bub

Are you able to get a bottle of Prime? It will help render your ammonia and nitrites non-toxic and yes indeed - doing a 50% waterchange will do more good than not.

Also, Sandy's right, a fishless cycle without ammonia doesn't kickstart the nitrogen cycle at all.... I know this will sound totally strange but one of my friends (a male) kickstarted his cycle by peeing in his tank - it's pure ammonia... He told me he could only find cloudy ammonia so what was he to do? :D

And don't worry, many fish have survived the ups and downs of tank cycling - as long as you remain on top of the ammonia and nitrite levels (which sadly means waterchange after waterchange) - all should be well. Another thing you can add to aid the breathing during climbing nitrite levels is 1 teaspoons of predissolved sea, rock or aquarium salt per gallon.

And yes, I think we've all started out listening to pet store workers then seemed to find Koko's when we were in need of help.... but everything can be fixed once the basics are picked up :D

Just as an aside - it may help your fish (especially as your a tad overstocked) if you can add another filter. The more filtration you have, the better the quality of water... I ended up by adding an AquaClear to each of my tanks as they're an extremely competent filter - but there are many good filters on the market to choose from.

Hope this helps :)

How long is the tank? My kit was the 39 inch long light glo tank with the fluval 3 but i keep tropicals, but i had to add the external eheim pro to up the turnover. With you having 4 fish and at least one of those a goldfish you will need another strong filter to keep up with waste production.

my tank is 31x14x14 inches width, depth, ht. Ill look out for Prime im in London. That was a good idea from your frien why didnt i just wee in the tank instead lol, would have been a much safer bet.

As for the salt my local store rubbished that idea when i asked so I didnt end up buying any.

If I add another filter will the cycle start all over again. I was thinking of completely replacing the filter with a really good one, do Fluval do one for my Tank. I want to stick with them as its easy to get spares as my local stores seem to always have bits for them. If I completely change the filter will the cycle start from the beginning again? or is it best to keep the old filter in while the new super filter is working for a while and then take the old one out. I dont think my fish like the current much the filter produces so 2 of them will drive them up the wall.

Anyway here is a pretty crap pic of my fish.

28912165772-thumb.jpg

If you do get a new filter use the media from your old filter as much as you can to keep the cyle going. If you use all new stuff it will disrupt the cyle. It should be safe to get a new filter so long as you use the media from the old one along with the new media to get the new stuff kickstarted. Or you can use both filters for a couple weeks or so until the new filter is growing the healthy bio bugs.

LOL, you didnt buy the salt because the shop said not to but they said your tank was fine after a week of nothing going on in it?

THEY KNOW NOTHING!

Please, we are here to give you the best advice. The salt will help them get through the cycle less stressed.

Fluval do a great range for external fiters and ebay have some good bargains. You will need filtration of at least 10 times your tank, so 300 gallons per hour which is 1350 litres UK.

As nichjake says use the old media and it shouldnt disrupt it too much.

I asked about the salt before I even joined the forum someone mentioned it to me. Yes I agree THEY KNOW NOTHING and I said that earlier aswell. I will go back to the shop and insist they sell me some salt.

Will this poweful filter cause a lot of current in my size tank? and can I just put the old media in the new filter even though it wont fit?

Thanks

bub

ive just read that my current filter does 700 litres per hour, I was reccomended to get one 10 times more powerful that cant be as then I would need one that does 7000 litres per min.

This is my current filter http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FLUVAL-3-PLUS-INTERN...1QQcmdZViewItem

so I would have thought another one of these would do the job (not another ten of them)

Please correct me if I am wrong

No. You need 10 times tank capacity. The fluval does 700 so you would need if you kept that filter one that would turnover another say 600-650 litres per hour.

If you get the fluval 404 then that on its own would give you the desired filtration. Personally i think you should do as i have done and keep the fluval and get whichever one adds up to that amount or above, as more is better.

Hope that helped. :)

Ive done a bit of reading on Fluval and apparantly they are not very reliable, Eheim ones seem to be the best but to get one to my spec seems to be double the price over the Fluval.If I get one of similar price to the Fluval 404 I get less power but am I better off with a Eheim or shall I stick to getting the 404 ? This is my other option http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Eheim-External-Filte...1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks again

bub

Guest squeeker

I have a fluval 404 and I love it. Not that Eheims aren't good... but they can't be THAT much better. IMO, Fluvals are great for the money they cost.

I can only say about the eheim as i have the pro 2224 i think it is. Its so quiet you wouldnt know it was on. Its more expensive but for me worth every penny.

The choice they say....is yours :)

Hi bub - I have an eheim 2260 and 2 x fluval 404's and i'm impressed by them all. The eheim is my best but it cost me $725 while my 404's cost me $325 ea and for the money, i think the Fluvals are grand (and silent).... I've had no problems at all with mine, they're reliable and they filter the tank beautifully (prices are outrageous in Australia).

Before I purchased all filters, i researched heavily and found the fluvals to be reliable and good filtration for the money but if you want the best - then IMHO eheim is by and large the most reliable on the market.

thanks it looks like Im going to have to choose between the Fluval 404 and Eheim 2028 which is ?50 more. The Eheim is suited to larger tanks than the Fluval but filters less water per hour.

Archived