Broken Filter Motor

Kissy

I didn't know you weren't supposed to get the motors on filters wet, so stupid me dunked them when I was disinfecting. They were two 150 aquaclears. If you plug them in they turn on, but never suck up enough water to get going. The other one works if you help it but it looks like it only does like 40 gph or something. Can I fix this or are the motors completely ruined?

The motors on aquaclears should be waterproof.

If you plug them in and the impeller starts turning, your motors are working fine. Try the following:

---Aquaclears have the ability to reduce their flow rate if you move the little knob on top to the right. Make sure the knob is moved all the way to the right for full flow.

---Aquaclears are also notorious for not self priming. You need to pour water into the filterbox until the impeller is submerged. Then, they should start flowing on their own. Do not plug it in until the impellars are submerged or the impeller can rattle and actually break a paddle off of the impellers.

So, give it a whirl and see how it works for you. Post back and let me know how its going! :)

Paul

Okay, I'll try again in a bit. I always make sure the filter is filled to the top with water before plugging in. I plug them in and they start, but they cant get the water all the way over the bend in the intake tube. I'm hoping the second one was just on the slower flow. I tried them both after I had disinfected them. One worked fine, and the other didn't. Now one doesn't work at all and the other has great difficulty. They are on even surfaces also.

I just noticed....are the impellers supposed to have four paddles? Both of mine only have three.

Well, every impeller that I hae seen on aquaclears has 4 paddles. Try this:

Take the impellars out and inspect them. If you see that the three paddles are evenly spaced in the shaft, then it could be that they are whole. But, If you see they are NOT evenly spaced, then they are broken and need replacing.

Here's a link to a very cheap source for them: http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/catego...d2=;breadcrumb=

Scroll to the bottom of the page for the impellars for the different aquaclear impellers.

Hope this help you!

paul

Not my 150's.... :huh:

I have two of them and both have 4 paddles each. Maybe you should check to see if your 150's paddles are evenly spaced on the impellarhead. As I stated above, if they are not evenly spaced, it is missing a paddle.......

I got them to work!!!!! Both work fine now. I used the same filter, but different motors and impellers. I must have had them on low or something when I was trying to start them. I don't really know...I'm just glad they work :)

It does look like they are each missing one paddle by the way they are spaced...but they work! Thats what I'm happy about. And smack..as long as they have worked with three paddles for you, than I don't think I'm too worried :) (I got the filters from her)

My original plan was to set up a 30 gallon tub for a feeder common, but I'm thinking a 29, 10, 3 AND 30 will be too much to care for, much less sneak to college. It will make a nice quarentine for sick or rescued fish for now. I'm gonna try and set up a cycle for my betta, and once all my tanks are filled any happy, I'll consider it again. I may have to wait a few years, but I will get one! If I wait til later, I plan to get them an indoor pond eventually.

Now I just gotta figure out why my qt tank isn't cycling...

Anyways, HAPPY :D

oh...wow...i was confused, mine have 4....

kissy, did they have 3 or 4 when i sent em to you? if they got broken in shipping or whatever, ill get you new impellers.....i feel awful now if i sent you busted filters :cry :

Kissy,

I think that for your filters to operate corretly, and with the flowrate they are rated for, you will need new impellers. They may seem to be working right now but without an even amount of paddles, they most likely wont be able to self prime after power outtages and the like. It only takes a couple of hours for a stagnant bio-filter to go anaerobic and die. Not to mention that the GPH is probably about 25% less than with the correct amount of paddles.

The impellers are dirt cheap at BigAls and other online or mail order companies. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived