Tupperware Container For Qt

glitterfish

Hey everyone!

Just wondering if I get a Tupperware container for QT or as a hospital, do I need to put a filter and aeration in it? Or just one? Also whats the minimum size requirement? Thanks! :D

Do you mean tupperwear for food or an actual tub? 10 gallons is probably best, you can usually find 10 gal rubbermaid tubs for about $5 each. You definately need a filter, but I'm not sure if aeration is required if you only plan to keep them there for a short time. A waterfall type filter might cover it as long as you don't overstock the tub, but I'm not completely sure. I kept a baby moor in a ten gal with waterfall filter with no aeration and she seemed fine. Of course, if they get sick, the extra aeration will help them tremendously. Do you already have an air pump? You can easilly buy some extra tubing, an air stone, and a tube spliter, and hook it up to the pump so the pump will aerate more than one tank.

Mmm I'd wait til some one can verify the aeration question... I really don't know! When you get new fish, its best to quarentine for 2-4 weeks, and then longer if your fish shows any signs of sickness. I have a thing tho and I want to qt for 4-5 weeks cuz the first 4 weeks I had my betta he was fine and then he broke out with bacterial rot and has never been the same since! I'd follow the same proceedure for a sick fish that needs to be separated too.

argh. yeah has to be hard to tell when you can actually introduce them to your tank!!

ok, i will wait for more responses although i trust your judgement, youve been sooo helpful with other things!! :)

thanks, kissy!!

your welcome :) Hey glitter just curious...how many hours do you spend online every day? Lol! Everytime I'm online, you are. You've been here for a week and a half and you already have 165 posts! I have a feeling you're addicted already :D

LOL!

You dont want to know how often Im online a day. Man. Its bad. hahaha.

Yeah I am incrediably addicted to this site. I am learning so much about something I THOUGHT I knew a lot about. Boy, I was wrong!! :P

Cant wait to hit 200 posts though! yay! :D

would an internal filter work? if so, what GPH is recommended for a 10gallon?

was just looking at some and seemed like a good idea in case the lip of the container wont house a regular filter.

Haha coyote...I'm an adict as well :)

My knowledge of internal filters is zero. I've always had hang over the back type filters, and I love them to death. I do have a little sponge filter I'm gonna try with my betta soon, but those are only helpful for bettas, ghost shrimp etc since all they really do is keep a cycle and aerate (at least I hope..we'll see I guess lol)

With all goldfish tanks, you want to get a filter with a gph of at least 10x the amount of gallons. For example, if you get a ten gallon, you want a gph of 100; 15 gal, 150 gph; 50 gal, 500 gph. You might want to look into a filter with adjustable water flow. Sick fish heal better with a slower current because of a little less stress. Good hang over the back filters are penguins, aquaclears etc. You probably want to keep it cycled before you keep fish in there, the harsh params of cycling will do more harm for sick/stressed fishies.

Archived