New 10 Gal

fishies724

I would be careful if it's a new tank.. If you add to many fish right off, if it's not cycled, the ammonia will shoot way way up because of all the fish and without that bacteria to help remove the ammonia and nitrites, the fish may have problems :( I wouldn't add anything else for a little while if it isn't cycled yet. Afterwards, maybe a few more neon tetras.

i agree - you need to make sure the tank is fully cycled first. Tetras arent good for cycling, but guppys are usually ok because they are very hardy :)

i would suggest getting some more tetras once the tank has cycled. As has been mentioned they are schooling fish and so like to be kept in larger groups (4+)

Tetras arent good for cycling

414157[/snapback]

I agree, especially not neon tetras. They tend to be the most sensitive to water quality. You might even want to consider keeping them in a separate tank or tub with no filter while you are cycling your ten gallon, and make sure you do regular waterchanges to keep their ammonia down as well. Bigger is better. I've temporarilly kept two black neon tetras in a three gallon bucket. I tested for ammonia 1 to 2 times a day, and I only needed to do 100% waterchanges every 2 days (on average) or do 40% waterchanges every day. If you do this, get the biggest container you have, give them a little aeration and hiding places, and they should be okay as long as you have ammonia very very very low or at 0

When I cycle my tanks, I add a few guppies :) Right now I have some feeder guppies in a new 10 gallon I'll use as a QT tank and they are doing okay. I have heard Danios are a good hardy fish for cycling a tank as well.

Good luck! :)

yes, danios and guppies are what i have found best in terms of tropicals :)

you could also use some filter gunk from another tank if you have one, that way you can instantly cycle :) i use this method, especially when im having to cycle an emergency hospital tank.

Archived