Is This Normal Behaviour?

Guest PetalFlower

Guest PetalFlower

Please excuse my ignorance, as I am a newbie fish owner; but I was wondering if anyone could tell what my fish are doing and why?

Every once in a while I'll see them doing what looks like the human equivalent of yawning. They open their mouth and extend their mouth parts (not sure what else to call it since they are not exactly lips) out like a little tube.

Is that normal, or there something wrong I should be addressing?

Thanks.

No its normal :) Mine do it on occasions! I dont know if they are actually yawning like humans do or what, but its ok and your little feeeshy isn't sick :) Unless its doing all the time, then maybe there could be something wrong, but now and again isn't bad :)

Guest PetalFlower

I see Xaiyou do it more often than Finnley, but still it's not even every day that I see it. The first time I saw I was like "OMG ALIEN MOUTH!!!" :rofl

Of course it's cute now.

I quite sure it's not nitrites, my params are as follows (still cycling <_< ):

NI: 0

NA: 0

AM: .25-.5

Hardness: 75 (soft)

total alkalinity: 300

PH: 8

Params look good PetalFlower. Just keep an eye on your water as you cycle and you'll be fine. My fish do that yawning thing too. Kinda funny to watch (especially now that we know it's normal :D )

good luck with cycling!!

I think there are a couple other possibilities. Do you have a type of aeration in your tank? If you don't have any aeration the O2 level might be low. I brought home a baby lionhead infested with all sorts of parasites once, and I was told his yawning was a symptom. I believe they were affecting his mouth as well, because he couldn't chew his food towards the end. Is he acting happy and active otherwise? How often does he "yawn"?

Guest PetalFlower

Yes, I must say that my fish bucket, gravel cleaner and I have all become very good friends. And of course I no longer have to look at labels anymore to calculate my dosages for chemicals, or the color charts for my tank readings! :lol:

Archived