Floaty Oranda

burge130

HI, I have a 10 gallon tank with two goldfish, a bronze oranda, medium size, and a small pearlscale. The tank is about 3 months old, it has been cycled, the ph is 7.4 , 0 ammonia and nitrates. I have one plant that is going downhill. For the past few days my oranda has been staying at the top a lot, it has become a struggle to swim down and when he does he usually floats right back up. I fasted him for two days, then gave him a pea. He seemed alright for a day, and I changed his diet from the flakes (which I always soaked) to sinking pellets which I also soaked. He still is floaty, I'm not sure what it is that he has, he isn't upside down, he still has an appetite, and he does not seem to be getting any better. Also, I do a 15% water change once a week, I add aquarium salt with the water change, and stress coat. I have an aqua clear water filter 30, and an air stone and air pump for the tank. Any ideas how I can help him?

Hi and welcome to the site.

It sounds as though your fishie is suffering from a small case of SBD Swim Bladder Disease. Fasting him for a couple days and then giving the peas is a good start. You may want to do that again. Fasting for 2 days and feeding peas for the following 2 days.

I see that you posted ammonia and nitrates are 0, is this true or is it the nitrites that are 0?

To be cycled the tank has to have nitrates in it and the ammonia, nitrites at 0. Post back to clarify this and we'll go from there.

I will also mention that you are overstocked which will lead to poor health for the fish. It is recommended for the fancy gf that each fish be in 10 gals each. So this may contribute to the fish not being to healthy.

I know one of my fish doesn't like to be crowded and will fight for the food and panic and gulp at the surface in a frenzy. He does better in a bigger tank with only 1 friend. His SBD acts up every now and then.

Post back soon, and welcome again. :hi

OK my nitrites and nitrates have always been at zero, I was under the impression that this was how it was supposed to be? Also I was wondering if a semi-dying plant could cause problems in the tank as well? They never fight over food, and they get along very well, they swim around together and never nip at each other so I didn't think that the tank was overcrowded. Are you saying that overcrowding could have led to the swimbladder?

Sorry forgot to post about the plant. Yes the dying plant can produce toxins into the water, so I would get it out of there. It could be starting to weaken their immune system with a toxin.

Ok, now lets think...........Oh yes, the bio cycle. A cycled tank should read ammonia and nitrItes 0 and nitrAtes 10-20 for perfect water. So the impression you had of that is a little off. So you will need to make sure the water starts to cycle properly. Do you have a test for nitrites? If so what are they?

Now I will explain the overstocking, hopefully ok (for it is bedtime for me and I am starting to get sleepy....if you dont' understand I will clarify it again...... :blink::rofl )

The reason for the 10 gal per gf is they produce alot of waste in which they live in, there needs to be more water to dilute it out as well as grow in.

Some gf need even more space due to territorial behaviors. This could lead to problems with SBD or fighting. In attempt to eat before the competition the fish can gulp air causing them to exhibt SBD symptoms.

I do hope that explains it for you.

Post back soon.

I do have a testing kit, its called a freshwater master test kit (aquarium pharmasutical incorp.) The amount of nitrates I have is 5. and 0 nitrites. I understand about the overcrowding. How do I make sure the tank is cycling properly?

Ok, if the ammonia and nitrites are 0 and the nitrates are at 5 then your tank is fully cycled.

Once this occurs if you get any readings on either ammonia or nitrites it is a "bump" in the cycle and you'll have to fix it with water changes.

"bumps" usually only happen for a couple reasons.............

1. Overfeeding

2. Over crowding

3. Medications to the tank.

That is a good kit to have by the way!!!

ok so, I am going to fast him for two days then give him peas for two days, and I'll try to get him a new tank, and in the time being I'll get rid of the plant. Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it, I will keep you posted on how hes doing.

Hi, well, last nite I removed the plant, and I've been watching him and he seems to be doing better he is swimming around the bottom, and he is pooing, I'm not sure if it is healthy or not though. Heres a description: It starts out thick and white then it is thick and dark, looks like it could easily break off and its longer than it usually is. His ususal poo is short and dark. Could his floating be that he was backed up? Do you think I should wait another day to feed him? Also what is the photo bucket I'd love to show you a pic of my boys! oh by the way my oranda's name is fatty fatty, and the pearlscale is bombalatti.

It sounds like he could be a bit constipated. I would wait another day and then do 2 days of peas. Peas will act like a natural laxative for the fish.

Photobucket.com ( i believe ) is a hosting site for pics. I am not familar with how to use it, but I know many members do. Sorry you will have to look it up and read on how to do it. (I am spoiled, I have my hubby do mine..... ;) )

Ok, you will need to post the link to the photobucket in the tread here so we can see the pics. ;)

As for the poop, I haven't heard of this before. You could very gently wipe it with your finger and see if it moves. Be careful though.

I wouldn't be to worried about the poop at this point. Just watch and see how the fish does over the next day or 2.

Hey the poo eventually fell off, and he seems to be doing a lot better, there has been no floating for two days, so tomorrow I'll give him the peas. Oh I wanted to ask, is it better to cook the peas in their own tank water (like in the microwave) or just dry microwaving them?

Ok and here are the links for the pics:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b352/burge130/IMG_0345.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b352/burge130/IMG_0351.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b352/burge130/IMG_0349.jpg

Thanks again!

Very cute fish, I love that little choco oranda!!

What I do with the peas is thaw them and cut them up. I don't cook them at all. If they are at room temp then they should "mush" up just fine.

Glad to hear all is better.

Hey I gave him the peas and he became floaty about an hour afterwards, it seems he gets floaty after eating anything, should I continue with the peas again tomorrow. I used to feed him a little twice a day, should I feed him peas tonight if he looks ok?

Since he is still floating with the peas, I would fast him a couple days and then go back to the peas. Often the fasting will help them to get things moving thru better.

I recieved your post to late last time, I had already fed him a pea that day and boy did it upset him, my goodness he had the thickest poo i've ever seen and he was very lathargic and floaty. I have begun to fast him again, its so hard though he only gets floaty after i feed him otherwise hes swimming happily around the tank, its so confusing. I am so worried, he also looks a lot worse at night I guess thats when he was digesting. So keep fasting then try again?

What times a day do you feed him and how many times?

The thick poo indicates a constipation so you are right on track with fasting and continueing the peas.

I would fast 2 days in a row and then follow with 2 days peas.

Post back with the answers and lets see if we can't get rid of this.

OH also what are the params of the tank again.

Ok, so when he gets floaty at night is it after the night meal?

Once we get him back on track it may be worth it to do very small meals and do them 3 times if you can.

Ok, if he is floating after a full day then you should really fast him another 2 days and follow by 2 days of peas. If at the end of the peas and he still floats with the peas then you may need to consider making a gel food for him.

Alot of gf do much better on gel food if they have SBD. There are good receipes in the food section.

Archived