Changeing Gravel

Black oranda

• Admin

It depends. I need my gravel since most of my plants need it for substate, but if your just having goldfish it might be best for you to have just barebottom :)

Guest gldfshkpr

Driftwood holds plants down nicely and provides a home for essential bacteria. Some plant's roots will grab onto/into the wood itself. Java Fern is a good choice. Anacharis is a plant that is cheap, considered food for Golds and hangs on top of the water surface. That's what I do in my bare-bottom tanks.

I'd also make sure I had plenty of extra filter material to compensate for the loss of beneficial bacteria you take out with the gravel. Testing for Nitrites is a good idea as well. Set the gravel aside for a day or two and then test for Nitrites. If Nitrites show up, you'll have to put some gravel back and take less out next time. It's definitely worth going sans gravel in my opinion.

I thought I want to go bare bottom (tank that is) :unsure: , and I have been slowly taking my gravel out. I must have taken too much out at once because I have been having a cloudly water problem and I think that caused it. After I had all the gravel out I went 2 days bare bottom and then added some small river rocks, covering about 3/4 of the tank bottom and spread them out. My tank is now clear and it is a lot easier to keep it clean. :D So I guess I'm between bare bottom and gravel. I like it better, my fish can still forge for food but they can't pick up the small rocks, or as I call them large pebbles. I think I've come a long way since I had been doing everything wrong in keeping fish. I owe it all the this website and all of you. Keep voting for our site. Its the Best! :panana

Archived