Mr. Chubby Ate His Son!

Guest squeeker

Guest squeeker

It's just emergency after emergency at my house lately...

I was feeding my gecko when I looked over at the goldie tank... and there's Mr. Chubby, with a tail sticking out of his mouth!!!! :blink:

In a panic, I grabbed him and tried to pull Barbosa out, but I couldnt' get a grip on the tail, as Barbosa is tiny (~2 inches) and not much was sticking out... I thought for sure he was dead. I finally got Barbosa out, but I think I kept Mr. C out of the water for too long in the process, because I put him in and he immediately sunk to the bottom of the tank, gasping, and upside-down. Amazingly, Barbosa DARTED away and hid behind a plant! ALIVE! I still can't believe it! :krazy:

Mr C seems to have recovered... he's acting like his old self. Barbosa is separated from his cannibalistic father by a floating pond basket. He's eaten, and seems ok, but stressed... his tail is in tatters because it ripped a bit when I pulled him out. :cry1

NOT COOL... they've been living together without incident for almost a year, I NEVER thought this would happen! :cry1

My goodness that had to be stressful.

How big is Mr.C? And what type of gf?

Since they have lived together close to a year, you may have to now seperate them until the little one gets to big to eat.

Good luck with him.

Guest squeeker

This morning everyone's alive.

Chubby is back to his old self. That's good, at least... he's my favourite!

Barbosa is scared silly, though. He's still in the floating basket, and every time Chubby swims by, he has a fit and tries to hide. I'm going to have to put some plants in the basket so he can hide behind stuff. One whole lobe of his tail is ripped off (that was from me when I pulled him out :crp) and his dorsal has a split in it as well. Other than that, he has both eyes, all of his scales, and the rest of him is intact. He's eating, which is a good sign. No fungus or anything growing on the fins, either.

As soon as I'm confident that Mrs. Chubby is cured of her dropsy, I'm going to put her back in the main tank and move Barbosa to the HT so he can grow a bit.

I really NEVER thought in a million years that this would happen. They've been living together for almost a year! He looks too big to fit in Chubby's mouth... he was obviously too big to fit down chubby's throat, anyway... :krazy:

My fantail attempted to eat her algae eater. Unfortunately for the algae eater, it broke in 2 pieces as my husband pulled it out. The fantail acted like nothing ever happened.

Sorry to hear about all the problems you've had recently. Hopefully everyone's on the road to recovery and things will be a little less crazy for you!! :)

Guest squeeker

Yup, I think I'm going to go ahead and move Mrs. Chubbs out of the HT and back into the main tank on Sunday. She's still looking GREAT after her dropsy, so I think (and hope) that she's good to go. Then, I'm going to put Barbosa in the HT to give him some growin' time. Until then, Barbosa's still contained in his floating basket.

Archived