Is It Safe To

Anic

I've been re-using my filter pads because, being a teenager, I don't have much $. I clean the poo and yuck out and run the pad under SCALDING water for awhile (7 min/ filter). Would they still be safe to use? I've been doing this for a while and it doesn't seem to bother the fish any.

Anic I assume that you are rinsing them with tap water? While rinsing them is ok to do, you want to use tank water not tap. The tap can kill the beneficial bacteria and you don't want that.

Re using them is ok. What I do is rinse them in the tank water I have just removed and then replace the filter.

I run 2 filters sooooo every once in awhile during my weekly 30% water change I throughly rinse one filter. Sometimes I even completely rinse out the whole filter itself. That way I have one filter still packed full of bio-bugs & gunk.

I even "make" my own filter cartridges. I have a carton of aquarium charcoal, a roll of mesh stuff & I whip 'em up whenever I need one. Sometimes all I have to do is pull open a corner, dump out the old charcoal and re-glue that corner.

You can save $$$ by do-it-yourself!

Your killing all the biobugs by washing it under really hot water. Just rinse it as other people have said, in the tank water you take out to do water changes :) You dont want to kill everything, just take away the bulk of the crap that gets stuck in it.

Right, but you are still killing the bio bugs on the filter, not to mention if you don't use a dechlorinator after doing so you are adding bad stuff to the tank from the tap.

It is just best to rinse from tank water. ;)

Right, but you are still killing the bio bugs on the filter, not to mention if you don't use a dechlorinator after doing so you are adding bad stuff to the tank from the tap. 

It is just best to rinse from tank water.  ;)

413334[/snapback]

whats the difference between rinsing under hot water and chucking the whole pad and replacing it, bio bug wise guys? I use hot water.. loosenes the grime... lol! never ever rinse the bio_______ (sponge, blocks, wheel, squirrel) :D

The filter has bacteria in it too. That is why. You rinse it under hot water and you kill the bactera. You replace it and of course you have to rebuild your bacteria on that surface all over again.

I never dispose of my filter. I just rinse it out in tank water and pop it back in. I dont want to risk having my tank cycle all over again.

Archived