Did A Little Surgery!

Guest shannonc

Guest shannonc

You may find this interesting.... bear with me...

Ok. So Peepers had been haveing some small issue. He poo seemed out of what (getting back on track), plus she seemed to have the small little sores on each side of her. Not really ulcers, just marks. almost looked like a scale was growing weird or something. So I upped her water changes and kept an eye on things.

Peepers has telescoping eyes (she used to be black and white... now shes mostly just transperently white!)

So one morning I look at her and she seems to have ... almost like an "egg pod" under her skin. It was located between the main portion of her head and her eye... so in the "telescope part"? I kept an eye on it.

hmmm. what the heck... changed water, increase temp a bit and add a dash of salt.

Next day: Pod seems to be rising to the surface of the skin. Almost (ok this sounds gross, but it's all I got) like a pimple slowly coming to the skin surface to escape.

That night: somethin has broken out! what looks like puss is coming out of her head near her eye. It looks like if I try to pull it off it will just break off. So I do a little water change and up the temp temporarily.

Next morning: can wait no more. I'm afraid of what ever this thing is. It may be cancer, it may be worms, it may be parasites, but I can't sit here and do nothing while it kills my poor peepers!! :cry1

So out she comes. grabbed the tweezers and pull. The entire "pod" comes out of her head. Left a little hole but other than that Peepers seems well. I added a little salt and she's happy. It's been almost a week and everything seems healed!! YAY.

A success story! ( knock on wood!) :krazy:

Good grief! That was one heck of a thing! You were very brave to take things into your hands.....or at least your tweezers!!

Anyway...way to go!! :exactly

Whoa :blink: any idea what the object was that came out? Sounds kind of like a cross between the grubworm cyst I had to remove from a gourami once. Good job removing it, whatever it was!

Guest shannonc

I'm not sure what it was. It was soft and puss like but whole and not breaking off at all. So maybe like a cyst of some sort. There was one part that was actually not white, a little brownish which made me think I was glad to get it out.

To make this an actual success story,you'll have to get the fish thru this next part. Your fish will be extremely vulnerable from this,and will need the most pristene water conditions that you can provide.The slightest off readings could start secondary infections quickly.You may want to feed him some Medicated food like Metro-Meds/Medi-Gold for 14 days also.Good luck,and I hope to hear that it was indeed a success. :)

Whoa? :blink: ? any idea what the object was that came out? Sounds kind of like a cross between the grubworm cyst I had to remove from a gourami once. Good job removing it, whatever it was!

412601[/snapback]

Yeah that does sound like a grubworm, or something related to one anyway. I've had to tkae those things off snails too...nasteh lol. Got any snails in the tank? If so, you might want to get some albendazole (albendazol/albendazol/something?) and feed it to everybody in the tank to make sure the fish doesn't get another one of those.

EDIT: sorry, I meant operculate snails (apple snails, viviparids, nerites, etc.). Pest snails from the Planorbidae or Physidae families don't carry grub worms.

wow, great job!!

i had to go at my bubble eye with a tweezer once because he had a rock stuck in his mouth. i lifted him so his head was out of the water and plucked it out!

hope your fishie heals up and all is well!

interesting story! I'm glad things are going well now for peepers. Sounds like the fish version of the bott fly? As Sharon said, it's good too keep the water qual up for the next little while until the hole/wound has completely healed over, and keep the salt up for a while too!

Donya, that's interesting stuff about the snails. Are they like a vector? can illiminating operculate snails from the tank stop re-infection of fish?

Snails and fish are intemediate hosts of some fluke species (grubworms). The eggs hatch out and infect the snails, and the snails dvelope cysts--which can be manually removed on large snails, although it's fairly tricky. If the cysts are left to hatch, the larvae then go out into the water and infect the fish. The cycle stops there in the aquarium, unless you invite a wading bird in to eat your fish. The waading bird is the last step in the cycle, returning the flukes to another body of water to start the cyle over.

I would not bother eliminating the snails. Technically you could do it, but you'd still have to take the grub worms out of the fish since they don't come out on their own (unless the fish's immune system forces them out somehow) and there would be residule ones that would keep showing up for a while. Without a wading bird, the cycle is dead anyway. If the snails are there and the fish got a grub worm, the best thing to do is just feed the snails albendazole and wait for any residule fluke cysts to show themselves on the fish (cysts that were started before medicating the snails). I've had a couple cases of flukes thanks to my research using wild-caught Pomacea insularum, but I never had it get to the fish stage since I manually removed the cysts from the snails and medicated them.

Guest shannonc

Sorry, didn't have any picture taking ability. And no snails in the tank. Starting to ponder the healthy-ness of the tank.

I used to have my 2 orandas (Lucy-redcapped & Ethel- lemonhead) in that tank. And they used to have white puss like stuff coming out of their wen's. It never seemed to cause a problem, at least I thought. I chalked it up to wen growth.

But then Ethel died. So I moved Lucy (male) in with the other male and put peepers in Lucy's old tank. (they originally were all together but, they were too fast and she wasnt' gettin enough food). So Peepers has been in this tank by her lonesome for months now before this "pod thing showed up. And now that I think about it, I haven't seen any of the stuff that used to show up on Lucy.

Hmmm. I'll definatley be watching params for a while and then start slowly cleaning this tank throughly. Look into getting a 40 gallon for all 3 to be back together again maybe.??

Thanks everyone.

Archived