Jump to content

How To Sterilize Hospital Tank?


Happy Oranda

Recommended Posts

  • Regular Member

Unfortunately my red cap oranda died of anchor worm and lice in it. He has lived in the hospital tank for about 10 days till he passed away. :(

As I know, those nasty worms are quite hard to get rid of, even the fish has been killed by them. And there could be some eggs or juveniles somewhere in the tank.

I have cleaned up everything including the filter and binned the filter-floss. And I filled it up water with 0.5% Detrol (active ingredient: Chloroxylenol). I soak the filter, net, literally everything that has been used on the sick fish in the tank.

I wonder if the disinfector is stronge enough to kill everything survived. Any idea about how to tank, all advices are appreciated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, bleach is the best disinfectant. You just have to get rid of it totally before putting any fish back in! A really dilute solution (1 tsp. per gallon) is all it takes. I am not familiar with the disinfectant you used, it might be sufficient too. Here is a link about qt tanks.

QT tanks

Here is what it says about bleach:

Chlorine Bleach:

Use one teaspoon of plain unscented chlorine bleach per gallon of water. Allow the bleach/water solution to run through the filter for about an hour. Drain all the water and refill with fresh tap water, dose with a cheap sodium thiosulfate dechlorinator -- such as AP's Tap Water Conditioner -- at about 10 times the directed amount. Allow the super-dechlorinated water to run through the filter for another hour. Drain, refill and dechlorinate/dechloraminate as you would normally before putting the Q/T back in service.

Pros: Most effective method available for killing all pathogens.

Cons: Harder to completely remove than Potassium Permanganate. May also discolor decorations.

Caution: Deadly to fish if not removed completely. Can potentially weaken the silicone joints on aquariums if not diluted enough or used too often. Use in a well ventilated area. Do not siphon by mouth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

i used regular disinfectant on my tank, i didnt wanna risk bleach, but thats just me, i did use the bleach to do the buckets though (then filled them with water and treated the water in them with dechlorinator as chlorine is the active ingredient in bleach.. so that got the rest of the chlorine outta the buckets.

id go for bleach (i will next time!) :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Bleach is the best! Scrub, wash & rincse rinse rinse!! I usually do that kind of cleaning in the tub or out in the yard so I can really rinse every single nook & crannie. I feel pretty good once any of the bleach smell is gone (then a couple more rinses!) :exactly I have done this for years and don't remember the least problem from it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

What did you use to try and get rid of the fish lice and anchor worm from the fish with? Those two parasites need to be treated with Dimlin (diflubenzuron) or you can use program, to rid them. I think I'd be more apt to treat the tank with either one of those to make sure all are gone & egg's etc. Program (Lufenuron) is the pill you can get from the vet to treat dogs & cats for fleas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
What did you use to try and get rid of the fish lice and anchor worm from the fish with?  Those two parasites need to be treated with Dimlin (diflubenzuron) or you can use program,  to rid them.  I think I'd be more apt to treat the tank with either one of those to make sure all are gone & egg's etc.  Program (Lufenuron) is the pill you can get from the vet to treat dogs & cats for fleas.

412939[/snapback]

Thanks for ur reply. The fish has passed away. As Dimilin is not available in the UK, I used Anti-crustacean Parasite from Interpet which nearly killed my goldie.

After the treatment in a 'hospital'-a lfs (a long story), I found he was infected by those bloody worms. He has been in hosptial tank for 10 days until he passed away. I have not got a chance to put him back home -- the main tank, as I have fighting those parasites. :(

I will continue searching for the Dimilin online in case some US website could ship it to the UK, as you never know when you will use it someday in future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...