Electronic Ph Tester

Guest jamoko

just thought i would share this with you all, i can across electronic ph testers on ebay and decided to buy one. They are extremely handy to use and although a little more expensive to buy at the start these will way out last a bottle of liquid ph test solution! i recommend them to everyone!

jamoko

Out of curiosity, have you ever done a comparison test between drop and electronic?

I'd be interested to know how precise it is in its testing - then will think about going out and buying one. Especially as i test my ph every second day :D

i tested both tank and tap water with electronic and the dry tab and test strips that i had left and they all came up with the same results! i could advise giving the electronic one a little shake in the water just to let the water get round it right! so much handier than messing about with the test tubes!

i bought mine off ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

paid just over ?12 inc postage....worth every penny!

jamoko

Digital PH meters are the way to go. They're fast, accurate, and very easy to use. I've used a Milwaukee SM102 for over three years and I just love it. It is accurate to plus or minus .01

Since I bought mine, the price has fallen dramatically. These days, you can buy a pen style digital PH tester that is accurate to plus or minus .2 for as little as $22.50 plus shipping and handling.

From experience, I can offer a few suggestions in what to look for in a digital PH tester or meter.

First and most important, make sure that it can be re-calibrated. As the electrode ages it will loose some accuracy. A good digital PH tester will only need to be re-calibrated every year or so.

Try to find one with a replaceable electrode. The electrodes can break if you accidentally bang it against something.

If you can afford it... Buy one that has automatic two point calibration. This type is more accurate and the internal micro processor will do all the work. All you have to do is push the calibrate button and put the electrode in the proper PH calibration fluid.

Another nice feature to look for is a meter with a temperature probe. This feature isn't necessary if your always going to be checking water that is about room temperature.

Here's a link to a site that sells the entire line of Milwaukee digital PH testers.

http://marineandreef.com/shoppro/electronics_milwaukee.html

Rick

Wey hey - these sound like winners. Now I think i'll have to go out and buy one :D

I just need to try and locate one in Sydney somewhere - but that shouldn't be too hard (hopefully)

I'm not sure exactly but i think you can pick them up from any electronics store, like a dick smith of jaycar electronics store. I know that you can get resistance temperature probes from dick smith and so there is a chance that you might be able to get pH meters from there. Let me know if you can?

:goodpost I have been looking into both meters and you guys answered a lot of great questions! Thanks bak2it, you always have such useful info. at your fingertips!

Ach! the all-in-one digital meter! When :pigs ! Just think, you could be up to date on WQ every second of the day! :9 Who do we write to?!?!

Jamoko - Is that your tank?! Heavenly! Is that an acrylic bowfront? Please, do tell me more - your tank and fish are just gorgeous! :heart

thanks graham, yes that's my own tank in my sig. It's a 190L Juwel trigon corner tank with a curved front, i'm not actually sure what it's made of, it's pretty heavy so i'm guessing it's made of glass.

i too wish someone would invent one of these multi testers, just think of the time that would be saved and you'd know instantly when conditions take a turn for the worst!

jamoko

Archived