Goldfish Eye Gone!

Guest Prune

Pls, what to do! Empty eye socket on the poor thing's left side! He had both eyes before! I've good quality water in the tank, lots of plants, four goldfish and two weather loaches. What happen to his eye? I didn't find it in the tank... I don't know what to do now, he swims funny... I'm just about to cry now, something that as a guy, I share with reluctance...

Hiya prune - as long as your water is perfect then the socket should heal over. Is your fish a bubble-eye?

Fish can live perfectly healthy lives with only 1 eye but my questions for you are:

- how big is your fish?

- what kind of filter are you running?

- have you any sharp objectes in your tank?

I think they are Oranda. The on-head growth is not very advanced; they are about 10 months old, having been about 8 months in my tank. Also a couple of black moors there. There are some rocks in the tank, but no really sharp edges left. I didn't see the eye in the tank, and my guess is one of the loaches had a snack, having finished sucking out the algae-eating snails... I'm hoping he doesn't try again. There's no well defined wound in the socket. The only different thing in the tank recently is that I stopped adding CO2. The filter is one of those in-tank Fluval filters. Nitrates are a tad high at 50 ppm, but have been stable for months (more frequent water changes have a fairly small effect, so I'm thinking the plants decrease their absorption of nitrates when the concentration goes down, thus the unusual result). I'm worried how the fish will manage to compete for food with the rest when he's just got one eye left, and the possibility of another eye being lost...

Without knowing how he lost his eye - it will be a waiting game.

As for nitrates - the only way i've found to reduce them with any success is by vacuuming my gravel regularly as the waste buildup attributes to higher levels.

With feeding, admittedly, my one-eye'd guy now shares a tank with my celestial who at the best of times is sight challenged and also only has one good eye. If he still has one good eye and a keen sense of smell then he should have no problem approaching the food though it may take some close inspection to confirm this.

Just as an aside, it's odd that he lost an eye :blink: - especially without any protrusion (unlike moor's, fantails etc) so if you can, check closeley for any aggressive behaviour from his tank mates or perhaps a strong intake from your filter....

Are there any other symptoms, any strange behavioural changes.... anything that may give a clue as to what happened?

Post back soon :)

He seems to be able to feed OK, though only turns towards his good eye when swimming, and doesn't notice food particles on the missing eye side. I don't think he could have gouged his eye on a rock as the socket is completely empty, like the whole eye was completely scooped out. There's no sign of disease either. A while ago one of the moors had some sort of fungus on his fin, but I put a tad of copper in the tank as well as iodine directly on the fin, and keep salt in the tank, so the fungus disappeared. The one-eyed fish is the smallest member of the tank, so perhaps the easiest victim for one of the others. Though the goldfish put everything in their mouths (they ruined most of my plants), I suspect the louches. Surely he wasn't just standing there as his eye was being removed, and only the loaches are fast enough to pull it out of a moving fish. One of the louches is fairly aggressive at feeding time, though I've not actually observed him attacking his tankmates. I guess if another eye goes missing I'll have to return him.

OK, you guys can move this to normal Disease forum. The fish store guy said there was no point in putting him in a medicated tank if there's no sign of infection in the socket. So I'll just put some more salt in the tank and hope parasites don't latch on...

Someone told me I shouldn't have put loaches in there as they are agressive, but I've seen a large goldfish try to eat a catfish before so I went with the faster loaches. Ironically, it seems things have gone the other way now...

Yes, i too have been told it's best not to put young goldfish in with loaches - they're not quick enough to get away unfortunately and being small, present an opportunity for the loaches (i believe).

Is there a small tank you can move him to?

Archived