Please Help.... All My Fish Have Serious Whitespot

Guest shay03

:krazy: PLEASE HELP! My fish have serious whitespot. I have been treating it for about a week now, changed the water/filter, removed all the plant, etc.... done all the necessary precautions.

STill treating the tank however the fishes whitespot is getting worse!!!!!!!!

Im so sad........ :( they are rare goldfish & i dont want to lose the poor little things!

There are 10 small goldfish ranging from 1 inch to 3 inches in size.

The sickest are the four celestials & 1 bubble eye - they all have SERIOUS WHITESPOT/ICK which is getting worse (thicker) every day!

The pearlscale is the next worse with whitespot also & a very red gill!????

All the rest have really bad whitespot also, arnt swimming much but get excited for food.

I have been & still am treating the tank with "Rapid Whitespot Remedy" but they look so bad, will they die should i put them down????

I am very upset & dont know what to do??? :unsure: Please any advice would be great!

Hi Shay! I;m so sorry to hear about your poor fishies. Can you give us some more information? If you go back to the topic page there is a red box with some questions in it, it would help if you answered those, then the people here can help you better. Also, give us a little history of how you've been treating them.

I hope they pull through! Post back soon!

In my experience, the very best treatment for ich (whitespot), is salt.

I would do a large water change, about 50%, then I would add salt. Use aquarium, kosher, pickling, coarse or sea salt. A salt without additives. Dissolve in tank water first before adding.

You add it in three stages, 12 hours apart.

So, you add 1 teaspoon per gallon, then wait 12 hours, add another teaspoon per gallon, wait another 12 hours and add another 1 teaspoon per gallon.

Ich can only be killed when it falls off the fish. What you are seeing on the fish now is a build up of slime coat over the ich cyst. These are the white spots. The cyst will fall off of the fish and drop to the bottom of the tank, where it will hatch releasing the free swimming stage of the parasite. This is when it can be killed.

Depending on the temperature of the water in your tank, the cyst will stay on the fish for only a few days or over a week. Raising the temp. in your tank will speed up the life cycle of the ich. What is the temperature in your tank now?

Another good thing to do when treating for ich is a good gravel vacuum. This will remove many of the cysts lying at the bottom of the tank waiting to hatch.

So, do a gravel vacuum or siphon the bottom of the tank whilst doing a 50% water change. Then add the first portion of salt, and wait 12 hours and add the next portion of salt, wait another 12 hours and add the next portion of salt.

Keep the salt in the tank for at least 2 weeks (keep it in even after the fish are free of ich, since you want to kill any lurking in the tank). When you do water changes, replace the amount of salt you have removed.

I hope this helps and please feel free to ask questions.

:rolleyes: THANKS EVERYONE SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR ADVICE, I HAVE BEEN FOLLOWING THE INSTRUCTIONS YOU GAVE ME "touchofsky" I REALL APPRECIATE IT...

UNFORTUNATELY............... :cry1 MOST OF MY BABIES HAVE DIED THISMORNING.

TWO SURVIVED THOUGH SO I JUST WANNA SAY THANKS FOR THE RESPONSES CAUSE ATLEAST I SAVED TWO LIVES. :crp

:D The remaining two babies are doing great! Thanks to everyones advice.

The tank itself is going great, the water's crystal clear, water levels (ph, nitrate etc)

are all fine & the fish are doing amazing, they look so happy! THANKS GUYS once again.

:heart !!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived