Salt With Finrot?

TastyRamen

Hi :D I'm new to this disease stuff, so I'm gunna do my best.

My roommate got a black moor, he is still teenie, probably no bigger than a quarter. Right now he is in a 2 1/2 gallon tank (yes I know this is not big enough but he is still tiny and the lady at the petstore seemed very knowledgable on fish care and she said a 2 1/2 should last until at least a couple months for him) plus I have an extra 15 gallon pop up tank sitting around that we wil probably move him into in december. There is no other fish in with him. He has an air pump, no filter but has weekly water changes. I dont have any water test stuff yet. He had a rough start when she first got him, but since the last water change is getting used to everything. He swims around and eats well and is very lively.

He has been fine, but today we noticed that he has something white along his back, near his dorsal fin. It looks like it is part of his coloration, for instance it doesnt look puffy or anything, it just looks like maybe some of the silver paint from his plant rubbed off on him (which wouldnt make sense since it has been rinsed and never came off on our hands...but it has silver coloraton) it shows up in the light, but not all the time. I figured it might be finrot,. and we have salt but do we drop the salt in with him in it? Or do we have to remove him and let it sit? The box doesnt say. He has scared us a couple times so I dont want to instruct her wrongly. I used to keep my comet in the bowl for the same amount of time until I moved him into a 15 gallon, and nothing wrong ever happened to him. Both have the same water treatments and types of plants.

Please help?

P.S. he has been getting gold along his belly so I thought maybe it could be part of a color change, but it doesnt seem like that would be it. I will gladly post photos if need be.

Hmmm, your litle moor seems to be in a predicament.......

I think you should step up the waterchanges in his "tank" to everyday. !00% waterchanges every single day will keep ammona from forming. Ammonia is a VERY toxic substance and can kill a goldfish very fast if it is not kept in check. Since you have no test kits to tell if ammonia is getting too high, 100% waterchanges each day will assure you of there being 0ppm for ammonia.

You'll need to do this every day until you can get the 15 gallon up and fully cycled. When you DO go to get a filter for the 15 gallon, make well and sure that it pumps at least 150gph. that is the minimum suggested GPH for 15 gallon tank with one goldfish in it.

The silver coloration you see on him might very well be a stress induced colorchange. The stress is from the ammonia rising in between waterchanges.........

Post back soon.

Paul

Archived