How To Clean Tank After Fish Died?

jen626

• Supporter

Hi all,

Sadly, I lost my goldfish today. I had no idea how to properly care for one until i found this site, and by then it was too late. I think my mistake was washing the gravel and messing up the tank balance by doing so.

I am probably going to be getting a larger tank, but want to keep this one to use as a quarantine or maybe a temporary tank. What should I do to make sure it is clean and whatever killed my fish is gone (although it may have just been water condition)? It is a plastic tank, with an under gravel filter on the bottom, and an aeration system along the back. It has gravel as well. At this point do I wash the gravel? What is the best thing to clean the tank with? I just want to make sure that if anything was in there that did contribute to my fishies demise, that it is gone before putting a new one in there.

Obviously, I know very little about fish or aquarium equipment, so any help is much appreciated. I have read about cycling the tank, just let me know what to do as far as making sure this tank is ready to start anew.

Thank you!

• Supporter

I am not sure what killedit, although it did not look like it had any visible parasites, nor did there appear to be any in the tank.

I think what happened is that I messed up the tank cycle by washing the gravel, and using some distilled water during a water change. This fish was given to me by ,y 3 year old nephew who was moving, and it was in a tiny 1.5 gallon tank. I did water changes weekly (25% usually), but went to far by washing the gravel. So I am guessing that is what it dies from? Here is my original thread when I was trying to save him if that info helps, plus a link to the picture of the tank is farther down the post (which is more like a toy trhan an aquarium).

Thanks!

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=36970

You can run a dilute bleach solution (1 tbs per gallon) through the tank and filter system for about an hour (throw away any filter media). Then empty it out and refill it with water and de-chlorinator at 10X the normal dosage for another hour. If you aren't going to set it up right away you could probably just rinse it real well after the bleach and air dry it.

This will disinfect it really well.

Sorry about your fish. :(

When you are done rinsing, a good thing to do is let everything dry outside in the sun for a day or two. This should take care of any bleach residue. As for gravel, put it in a big pot and boil it for a while. You can boil other things too, but if they are made out of plastic, its best to bleach it with the tank because they will melt!

• Supporter

Thanks, I actually just adopted some fish from another koko's member, JP27, because she could not take them where she was moving to.

She has four beautiful commons, two white and two gold. I am still overstocked, with three in a 20 gallon and one in a 10, but I am working on getting a larger tank, or possibly finding a pond for these fish because they are GI-NORMOUS. They started out as tiny little feeders and in about 8 months have grown into giants, even though all four of them have been in a 10 gallon the whole time! The "big" one, Cherry is 10" with tail, and the others vary from 5-8". So I wonder if they would be happier in a pond somewhere? Especially the big one.

Can these type of fish be put into a pond safely, if the people know what they are doing? I think they are gorgeous and my daughter and Ilove them, but I also want them to be happy. Who knows how much bigger they will get in a tank twice the size of the old one!

Until I get a bigger tank I am checking the water levels everyday to keep them safe. Ihave to do daily water changes to keep the ammonia down, but on the 10 gallon we seemed to have "saved" the cycle by keeping the gravel and filter wet. My Nitrites are at 0, Nitrates at 5-10, and ammonia at .25-not ideal but ok for four commons in a 10 gallon.

Thanks for the advice though, I knew nothing about goldfish when I came to this site. i am pretty sure the fish that was in the 1.5 gallon died because I washed the gravel and filter with tap water, thus messing up the cycle, that made it sick, and then water quality was too poor for it to get better. :-( But now at least I know what to check, and have got the fish in slightly better digs.

Archived