It Is A Bad Idea To Use My Siphon In The Qt Tank?

maries

Just a question.. I only have one siphon but am wary about using it in my qt tank for my new fishies water changes. How can I disinfect it after using it to prevent spreading anything (that I may not be aware of yet, if anything)? Thanks :)

The best thing is to have seperate syphons or you risk transfering something from tank to tank.

If you can't then rinsing it in a mild bleach solution is what I would do, however it has to be rinsed and rinsed to remove the bleach or that could kill the fish.

If you keep your qt tank barebottom (which is easiest), then you can go to a local hardware store and buy a length of plastic tubing. Ask for tubing that is "food grade". It is very cheap and you can use it to siphon your qt tank. Tubing is also available at fish stores :)

or if you have a long/short QT tank - you can use a turney baster (I keep mine barebottomed & then use the baster to get the junk off the bottom & a cup to remove any extra water if a larger change is needed)

:D

edit: I have cross-contaminated that way & believe you me that it REALLY sucks! (I have to admit that I'm too lazy to always disinfect so I keep a special set that I disinfect after I'm done with the QT tank. THat way I don't need to worry about it!)

Archived