Albino Corydora's

Queenie

Maybe someone might be able to tell me why my little albino corydora's have stopped swimming around. They used to swim around the bottom of the tank all the time and up and down as well. They have stopped doing that for a long time now, apparently they are eating, they don't look sick, the water temp is 80 deg. the parameters are good. They are in a 10 gallon with one female betta who never bothers them. They seem to just stay together in the corner almost all the time :(

Yes, there is plenty of air. It's possible they are more active at night but it's just that I always seen them during the day swimming around looking for food. Their behavior changed. The only thing that has changed is my tetra died, otherwise the tank is the same.

What have you got for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph? I take it you gravel vac as well? Catfish usually prefer to come out at night. When you turn the tank lights off watch them for a while to see if they start moving around. What kind of diet are they on?

0 ammonia and nitrite, 10 nitrates, ph 7.6, temp. 80 deg. I just feed them tropical flakes and tropical granules. Maybe I'm worried about nothing. I just thought it was weird for them to change behavior like that.

I've kept Albino Cory's for quite a few years. Cory's can tolerate quite a large area in temp range,but they seem to be happier around 75-76 in my tank.One thing that I noticed about mine,is that they come to life during water changes.I do this no matter what readings I have- & they love it! :lol: How often are you doing water changes queenie? I also noticed that they became less active when their PH got raised higher due to an invasion of Apple Snails.Seems like when the ph went from 6.8 /7 to now around 7.4,they became less active.My Cory's are always Have yours always been in that PH frame?

Like Devs, the one thing that stands out is that the temperature may be on the high side for them. I think albino corys like to be kept in the low to mid seventies. I keep my cories in 7.8 ph and they do just great and are very active even in the daytime. Tank is usually around 74-75 f.

Sandy, I have shrimp so I'll be sure to start giving them some.

I can certainly lower the temp. I do water changes and gravel vac every week.

The ph has been that for 2 years. Thats what all my tanks usually stay at.

So I'll lower the temp and give them some shrimp, see if that perks them up. Thanks for your advice everyone.

Hi all, I thought I'd poke my head in and say hi. I forgot that there was even a tropical disease section! :o

Sounds to me like your cories need some spice added to their lives..... :lol:

I think all fish like variety to their lives and diets. For your cories, I would try swiching things up a bit like re-arranging Try feeding a lot of different varieties like bloodworms, chopped frozen krill, tubifex worms and other "wild" types of treats gets them all riled up the most.

Good luck with them... :D

Okay. I lowered the temp. gave them shrimp today. I'll give them some tubiflex worms tomorrow.

Thanks Toothless :)

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to let ya'll know that I started feeding my corys the shrimp and now they are back to normal. :)

Since they eat from the bottom, how do I feed them the tubiflex worms because they float.?

:rofl My arm stays wet. Yes, I have the freeze dried tubifex worms, but they don't stay on the glass very long and then they float, even when I put them on the bottom.

Please dont feed them tubifex as it can contain parasites,

Sandy, even from the freeze dried?

Archived