Snail Eggs?

tinker

Last nite, we found a slew of what appear to be some kind of eggs attached to one of our plants. The eggs seemed big tho. Clear with a white spot in the middle. The fish are too young I think (one is barely out of being a fry, and the other is only about 4 months old), so is it safe to assume they're snail eggs? Will this be a continuing problem?? I was told that snails lay eggs just above the waterline, but these were attached to the silk palm in the tank.

HARD to get off too! They wouldnt vaccum out!! Any hints as to dealing with this in the future??

Here's pics of the two snails : 50galthree023.jpg

:D Hi Bonnie! Most Apple Snails do lay their eggs above the water line,except for a chosen few like Marissa's,and Spixi's.Your Pic shows me that you have a Marissa and what looks to be a Brig,or possibly a Cana.I can't tell for sure by the pic for I am no expert. :rolleyes: Snails are able to store sperm for quite a while,so if anyone laid the eggs under water,it would be your Marissa. If your snail wasn't around the "opposite sex" in the last few months,then chances are that the eggs are duds.Usually just leaving them where they are kind of takes care of the problem.The fish end up finding them and realize that they hit paydirt for some snail caviar! :lol:

:) The Marissa's aka "Columbian Ramshorn are a brown color with striping in it.I know trhat they also come in gold because I have both of them.The only thing I'm not sure off hand is if they come in solid brown.All mine have stripes.These guys seem to have much thicker shells than my Ramshorns.

Archived